Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
By the way, I'm curious. My car has passenger side airbag and those were original airbags since we bought it in 1993. I heard that airbags would "expire" (no longer working) after couple of years later. Are these airbags still working (and how do I know or test it)? If NOT, is it easy to take it out and replace for a new one? Where could I buy new air bags (parts) for driver side and passenger side? Thanks!
I've never heard of an air bag having an expiration date. :D

·
Premium Member
10,120 Posts
I think after the 'unintended acceleration' debacle of the late 80's (was that Audi or SAAB originally?), car manufactures where becoming gun-shy on product that could fail over time. It would appear that MB underestimated the quality and durability of the explosive charge and the air bag. I don't intend on touching mine.

Kevin

·
Registered
243 Posts
Yearly tests by Volvo of expired airbags have, IIRC, proven to be at or very near 100% deployment rate. Other tests of old airbags have shown the same. Newer cars do not have an expiration date, IIRC.

·
Premium Member
10,120 Posts
Not that it's a valid case study.....but members in here that have had recent front end collisions with 124's, ALL say the air bag deployed properly.

Kevin

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
I just drive everywhere with a helmet and Nomex suit.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #27 (Edited)
[Response to spammer's thread self-deleted after moderator removed spammer's thread. Thanks]

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Don't forget the HANS device!

Can get a bit annoying for a "milk run" but I guess you can never be too careful!

Nah just super glue the back of the helmet to the head rest

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
He did mention he's a new member. Common mistake.
Every member will appropriately slap him around with
unnecessary profanity to ensure it doesn't happen again.

(☺☺[][]☺☺)
Sorry everyone, I think it was an accident, I have a bunch of tabs open.

My helmet and Nomex suit is on...I'm ready...flame away!

R

·
0 Posts
RageRover: Why the repeated cut and pasting of the same rant - word for word? http://www.benzworld.org/forums/r129-sl-class/1521284-airbag-expiry-date-4.html#post5062868

If you want to sell rollcages, just say so. There's no need to drag us through your "rant" just to get to your sales link at the end of it. Also, if your going to spam auto forums, particularly Mercedes forums, you should at least make sure your web site has Mercedes on the drop down menu.

By the way, it is not illegal to buy used airbag in the United States.

Finally, we generally don't say "expiry" as opposed to expiration. That form of the word is only heard using the Queen's English.
I should have added to my original post that i have NO relationship, of ANY form with Safety Devices. As I mentioned, I'm in the medical field, not auto biz. So I'm not interested in selling roll cages. Nor do I care or profit if you buy one or not.

The roll cage thing was partially a joke, but partially not. Like I said, although my vehicle (seems) pretty safe now, with more and more safety features coming out like multiple airbag systems, auto braking, auto cruise control, blind spot warning, etc, it seems a Smart is safer than an old G-Wagon with just front airbags.

I also mentioned I was smashed directly in my driver's (left) side a few months ago. So wouldn't mind making my vehicle safer.

If I can retrofit side airbags I would, but Its not possible.

What should one do if they have a well maintained but "older" (20 years +) vehicle doesn't have all the high-tech safety stuff? So I figured maybe one day add a roll cage. An integrated roll cage with padding in certain areas to cushion your head, should add some safety when it comes to certain things like side impacts.

I'm not spamming, I'm a new member here. I don't have a website and once again I don't sell anything, even auto-related.

I don't believe I said it's illegal to BUY a used airbag, but it is illegal to SELL a used airbag (if you're a dealer, parts dealer, mechanic, etc).

If you're just an individual who's parting out his/her car then there's no prob, it's legal to SELL.

A buyer can buy from anywhere...on here, on "that auction site" etc.

This rule MAY vary state to state. In the state I live, it's illegal. Its also illegal for a dealer/parts dealer/junk yard, etc to sell catalytic converters.

There's a "dismantler" who deals mostly with foreign cars, when I need a part or 2 I stop by. When my exhaust was starting to go bad I asked him if he had any, he told me it was illegal for him to sell it to me.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
You just have to ignore some of the comments. Part of the reason I still monitor this forum is for a good laugh. Some people are so uptight. It's like the childish arguments and profanity on YouTube. Like "This is so ♠☻•♣♥♦☻ gay!"

Additionally now days, if you write more than a paragraph people are easily bored and/or annoyed. Throw in a few titty shots and a cop chase video and you're good. L☺L

·
Banned
7,361 Posts

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
The expiration had been 10 years since 1984 when they first had them.

My 93 400E is 15 years.

Oh yea,

It's been I while since I sold it
but I remember my 400E having the same

(bought for $2k after changing head light doors and brakes sold it for $4300)

·
Registered
119 Posts
I know this thread is old but in the midst of the disagreement over wether or not airbags expire nobody answered the question. How difficult is it to pull the existing airbag? I'm another wanting to retrofit a glovebox

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
I know this thread is old but in the midst of the disagreement over wether or not airbags expire nobody answered the question. How difficult is it to pull the existing airbag? I'm another wanting to retrofit a glovebox
Depends if you want to do it "right", meaning still have the driver airbag function, or not. Assuming the former, I believe the only correct way would be to retrofit the single-airbag system from an early 90's model... at least the brain box is needed; I'm not sure if you can use the existing wiring or not. Any attempt to "fool" the existing dual-airbag brain into thinking a passenger airbag exists when it really does not, runs the risk of the driver airbag not deploying in a wreck. Now if you don't care about SRS (remember, it's also the belt retractors, not just the airbags) then you can just disable the entire setup and put the glovebox in.

IMHO, there are too many cell-phone-wielding idiots on the road today and I'd like to ADD some airbags to my car, not remove them. YMMV, etc, etc...

:surrender:

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #38 (Edited)
Per Mercedes, all airbag expirations are now inapplicable. As to removing the passenger airbag and going to a glove box, that coud probably be done with appropriate resistors to fool the SRS system electronics into otherwise working - however, the underdash crossbar is different and would most likely not work. There are glove box fittings on the non-airbag crossbar, and airbag retention bolt access on the airbag crossbar. If my memory serves me well, each would interfere with the other.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Well I guess I;ll just keep my gloves in the pouch on the back of the drivers seat

21 - 40 of 43 Posts