Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1985 Gelandewagen SWB Convertible
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So as I'm getting up to speed on our new toy and surfing around for information, I came across a couple threads where it has been stated that Mercedes basically will not export parts outside the EU for vehicles not sold there or something like that.

Um, anyone have any intelligent input? In another forum there were letters written and responses received all basically adding up to nothing.

My obvious fear is that the toy we just got to take home as a rare, but capable machine to play with, will need to be sold before we leave due to having no parts support.

·
Registered
'81 300GD Cabrio, '78 450 SEL 6.9 Rocketship, Rover HSE
704 Posts
The parts are still available through the normal vendors. They've had to adjust their procurement methods meaning prices and lead times will be more. The best we can hope for out of DB is that they will strongly suggest that MBUSA dealers get their parts guys up to speed on the W460. Currently though, my local MB dealer is as helpless, hopeless and useless as ever when it comes to Euro spec trucks.

·
Registered
1985 Gelandewagen SWB Convertible
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK, cool. As long as we still can get parts, that's all that matters I suppose. I've never been a fan of dealers for any marque anyways and use them only as a last resort, as I don't have more money than sense.

Now here is a bit of a piggyback question; where can I find some info in terms of known issues and/or faults on the early Gs? I have been googling high and low and can't really find much of an faq or the like on these machines.

I know they are pretty bomb proof, but seeing as I'm currently in Germany, if I can start to compile some parts that may be hard to come by, that would be great.

And ironically, for another car I'm restoring, parts are so expensive here in Germany, that I buy my German made parts for my car (and motorbike) made in Germany from the US.

·
Registered
'81 300GD Cabrio, '78 450 SEL 6.9 Rocketship, Rover HSE
704 Posts
I'm no expert and certainly don't have as much historical reference as others here. I think that this forum and especially the other one (which shan't be named here) are your best resources for "issues". I've owned my 460 for 5 years having lurked and shopped for four years prior. The biggest problem by far with the 460 is going to be rust. It's hit and miss. Aside from that, there aren't any real common problems throughout the product line. I think the 280 or 230 GE's have the potential to be more problematic as they get older because of engine electronics. There are a few cases I'm aware of where t-cases or transmissions have had to be replaced, but hey-they're 25+years old. As with most vehicles in general its all about use, driving style, and maintenance. Given the worst combination of these, the G holds together better than anything else I'm aware of.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts