Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1983 Mercedes Benz 500 SL
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, the trip odometer on my 83 500 SL works, but could not be reset. I pulled the cluster today and find that there seems to be a missing component/connection from the reset button at the bottom of the cluster and the trip odometer arm at the base of the speedometer. Whatever was there has gone MIA in the last 38 years, but I can not find a sufficiently detailed diagram or picture of this area online. Does anyone have some part #s or images?

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
83 280 SL- 5 speed-The PIG
31,354 Posts
Hi guys, the trip odometer on my 83 500 SL works, but could not be reset. I pulled the cluster today and find that there seems to be a missing component/connection from the reset button at the bottom of the cluster and the trip odometer arm at the base of the speedometer. Whatever was there has gone MIA in the last 38 years, but I can not find a sufficiently detailed diagram or picture of this area online. Does anyone have some part #s or images?
Don't know if anything here will help.
Steering Wheel Removal and Odometer Repair: Tutorial | Mercedes-Benz Forum (benzworld.org)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Nobby, there is a useful image in there that shows the back of the pot metal reset lever for the trip odometer. It appears to be a single piece although slightly different from the one in my vehicle. My reset bar does not have any downward element (which is obviously required to engage the reset button below it). There is no evidence of a broken edge or fastening component. I contacted a speedometer shop in California to clarify the details, but they do not sell components. They said they could repair it for $250. Time to breakout the epoxy and some scarp aluminum!

·
Registered
1973 450 SL
2,323 Posts
Would a spare speedometer be something you could pull a part from to fix your odometer reset? I have several spare clusters. What is the part number for your speedometer (visible in the bottom periphery of the gauge face plate)? Are you able to post a picture of the inoperative pieces?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the offer Brad, but I think I have it fixed. A small piece of aluminum epoxied to the reset bar seems to be working.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Spoke too soon. In the attached image the gray lever in the upper left is used to reset the trip odometer. When the left side of the lever is moved upward, the right side pushes on the tarnished rod on the reset mechanism and zeros the trip odometer. My problem is that there is obviously some missing component(s). The Trip reset push button on the cluster is located a few centimeters below the gray lever. The action of pushing the reset button is in the opposite direction from what is required to activate the reset mechanism. Presumably there is a part or series of parts that translates the inward (or in the photo downward ) motion into an outward ( upward ) direction on the gray lever. I have not been able to find an image or parts breakdown which matches mine. My speedo is a VDO unit # 107 542 52 01 . Any suggestions for solving this mystery?

·
Premium Member
1976 450SL, 1992 190e 2.3, 1984 300D turbo, 1966 VW bus
392 Posts
There are lots of different gague variations, it looks different from the 380, 560, and 450 photos I found on ebay.

I think you need to reach out to an expert. Mercedes source recommends this guy.

Alternatively find a good used one or just give up. At least your odometer is still working...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts