Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First post! I recently picked up my first Mercedes, a 93 500SEL. Just finishing a through inspection and service.

What a fascinating and mechanically intense car! At the time of purchase I was informed of a second car, with a blown motor, that could be purchased for just a few hundred dollars. Is this wise? Are there must have spares? I assume those will be just as decrepit and fossilized as the ones already on my car :angel

And thank you gentleman. Without resources like this, it would be pointless to own this fine car.

·
Registered
21,750 Posts
First post! I recently picked up my first Mercedes, a 93 500SEL. Just finishing a through inspection and service.

What a fascinating and mechanically intense car! At the time of purchase I was informed of a second car, with a blown motor, that could be purchased for just a few hundred dollars. Is this wise? Are there must have spares? I assume those will be just as decrepit and fossilized as the ones already on my car :angel

And thank you gentleman. Without resources like this, it would be pointless to own this fine car.

It definitely makes sense to figure out what parts are needed by your car before picking up a boat anchor that you will have to tow. Then there is your ability or lack of ability to tow and store the car. For some it makes sense. Others not so much

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
1,600 Posts
Yeah, it really comes down to whether you have the room to store a parts car over the long term and the inclination to really get in there and tear it down for the necessary bits.

It also matters what kind of condition this donor is in. If it was relatively well-maintained before it was taken off the road, then you'll probably find a lot of useful and valuable parts in it. If it's been sitting and neglected for ten years before finally being sold off, then it's likely filled with crumbling junk, and very few useful items.

As Fonzie said above, take an inventory of what your car actually needs right now and compare it against what the donor has to offer. That will at least give you a starting point.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
About this Discussion
2 Replies
3 Participants
Thom_7
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing