Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a C320 and the dealership suggested that I replace both of the catalytic converters. They want 1300$ a piece for the converters + labor. which came out to be < $4000. For a car this age this is a lot of cash to spend. I would personally like to find two used catalytic converters and do the job myself. I am not familiar w/ how the exhaust system is put together. I can weld pretty decently if need be and feel confident about the work itself. The issue is, I haven't been able to locate a decent priced converter. Its almost like they are not listed anywhere except for new ones. I don't know if this is because of all the issues with people stealing them or what ? I was hoping somene here could point me in the right direction for buying a used catalytic converter. I googled and could not find anything. There also are 'universal fit' converters, I don't know if anyone has had any luck w/ these, they are quite a bit cheaper. We all know how that goes though, you get what you pay for 99% of the time. r

Thanks in advance!,

-mbc320diy
1961 MB 190 - 1962 LR Series II - 1978 240D - 2003 C320 4Matic - 2004 BMW 325Xi

·
Registered
2006 audi S4 Cabriolet
98 Posts
I don't know what year is your car or where you live but I beleive here in Canada, the warranty period for the catalytic converters is greater than 4 years, I beleive it is 7 years. This extended warranty is because of a federal law forcing car companies to warranty the entire anti-pollution system for 7 years (don't quote me on this as I am not 100% certain of these facts)
I think it is worth investigate a little more to see if there is a possibility of getting the work done under warranty because it is part of the anti-pollution system.

·
Registered
C230K Sport Sedan
5,368 Posts
What most muffler shops do is remove the factory cat, cut off the ends and then weld them onto a generic cat, like a Magnaflow you can get for $50-60. That's what I would do. A cat is a cat, it's a honeycomb material that the exhaust gasses go through and the heat generated from this action causes the hydro carbons to burn so there's no magic to a Mecedes branded one vs. Magnaflow. The reason you pay more for one that fits straight out of the box is the inventory costs. They can inventory thousands of generic cats and sell them at a steady rate. On the otherhand, if they can't afford to inventory thousands of different cats that only fit specific cars. So my guess is that when you order it, they take a generic cat and weld on the proper ends and ship it to you. Hence, you still get a $50 cat, just with $300 labor and metal to make it fit your car as a bolt on.

·
Registered
2004 C240 Wagon
355 Posts
I don't know what year is your car or where you live but I beleive here in Canada, the warranty period for the catalytic converters is greater than 4 years, I beleive it is 7 years. This extended warranty is because of a federal law forcing car companies to warranty the entire anti-pollution system for 7 years (don't quote me on this as I am not 100% certain of these facts)
I think it is worth investigate a little more to see if there is a possibility of getting the work done under warranty because it is part of the anti-pollution system.
+ 1 on this. Cats fall under the Emmissions System Warranty that is longer than the factory bumper to bumper. I believe it is 80K mileage or 8 years --which ever comes first. Definitely worth looking into. Rasmussen Portland Merceds replaced one of mine under warranty just few mos. ago.

·
Registered
2006 audi S4 Cabriolet
98 Posts
+ 1 on this. Cats fall under the Emmissions System Warranty that is longer than the factory bumper to bumper. I believe it is 80K mileage or 8 years --which ever comes first. Definitely worth looking into. Rasmussen Portland Merceds replaced one of mine under warranty just few mos. ago.
Mercedes replaced both my cats a month after I got my car 3 years ago (obviously it was still under warranty). My car started to run erraticly on occation. It was cause by both cats being partially blocked because of loose pieces in them. The sevice advisor told me it was caused because people sometime use regular gasoline instead of primium gas in our car :confused::confused::confused:. I have no idea what the previous owner was using but my car had only 22,000km and 18 months when I got it. 2,000km more when both my cats failed.
BTW I had to get my car towed to the dealer that day: bad way to start a relationship with a new car :crybaby2: (new to me anyway).

·
Registered
ML320/C320 Sprt
4,649 Posts
Here in Cali its 7 years

I just have mine replaced a couple of weeks ago under warranty. and the reason being the oem cat is way too expensive is the forward pipe is also included or welded to the catalytic converter. I checked the price on this site, and it wasn't that bad. C230 cat are way too expensive compare to 320.

Mercedes Benz of Fort Lauderdale

and let us know what year is your car and how many miles you have. and if its beyond the warranty period you might as well do what buellwinkle suggested.

·
Registered
C230K Sport Sedan
5,368 Posts
Ditto on the warranty, it's 8 years, 80K miles on the cats. Just assumed you knew this since you said you took it to the dealer and they should be aware of that federally mandated warranty.

Regular gas or premium doesn't make a difference to the cat. If you used leaded fuel that would be bad but were would you even buy leaded fuel at a pump on the street? Sure, racing fuel sold in cans or at the airport for general aviation but don't see many people doing that.

·
Registered
2006 audi S4 Cabriolet
98 Posts
Regular gas or premium doesn't make a difference to the cat. If you used leaded fuel that would be bad but were would you even buy leaded fuel at a pump on the street? Sure, racing fuel sold in cans or at the airport for general aviation but don't see many people doing that.
The advisor said something about the additive (of lack of additive) in the regular gas was the problem. The additives present in the premium gas is the reason why it is required on our car.
I have no idea if this is true or some king of BS to justify why both cats failed after only 24,000KM and 18 months.

·
Registered
2006 audi S4 Cabriolet
98 Posts
A little threadjack:

mbc320diy: I see in your signature that you have both a C320 and a 325xi.

I need a referee: My twin brother has a 2005 325xi and I have a 2004 c240: can you hear the arguments :surrender:....

So tell me once and for all to settle things, who wins :thumbsup:

PS: I would not dare ask the same in a BMW forum.

·
Registered
2002 C230 Sport Coup and 2006 ML350
1,126 Posts
What most muffler shops do is remove the factory cat, cut off the ends and then weld them onto a generic cat, like a Magnaflow you can get for $50-60. That's what I would do. A cat is a cat, it's a honeycomb material that the exhaust gasses go through and the heat generated from this action causes the hydro carbons to burn so there's no magic to a Mecedes branded one vs. Magnaflow. The reason you pay more for one that fits straight out of the box is the inventory costs. They can inventory thousands of generic cats and sell them at a steady rate. On the otherhand, if they can't afford to inventory thousands of different cats that only fit specific cars. So my guess is that when you order it, they take a generic cat and weld on the proper ends and ship it to you. Hence, you still get a $50 cat, just with $300 labor and metal to make it fit your car as a bolt on.
He doesn't specify his location...
but try looking up a magnaflow cat in California these days.
The law is changed, and they can be fined for selling a cat not specified for a particular vehicle, even if it passes at the tailpipe.
So the sites won't even tell you the pn's, only allow you to look by
application. Some huge fines for anyone installing a non-specified cat in Cali.
I'd be driving to Oregon or Nevada to get one...he he.
No way would I pay that kind of money for a cat.

In any case, even with the rediculous prices on the cats,
how did they come up with more than a $1000 in labor?
Most places will charge 50-75 per cat to cut and weld them in.

Hopefully it's covered.
I paid $300 for my replacement cat (just one though) a year or 2 ago including the labor and some pipe.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts