Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1989 300SE 239k miles
2,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

Working on my 1989 300SE with 238k miles. I need to replace the hose that goes from the coolant expansion tank that drains to the outside. The one that attaches at the rear of the radiator cap. I lt drains out under the right fender.

It seems to be woven. Is it a generic hose I can buy at a parts store? Or is it a special MB hose? Is it worth me snagging a replacement one when I go to the salvage yard in the next few days?

Thanks,
Bill

·
Registered
84' 500 Sec gray market
143 Posts
I'm usually a stickler for authenticity... Think you could go to your local MD dealer and get this kind of hose? They'd probably sell it to you by the foot and for not very much?

·
Registered
1989 300SE 239k miles
2,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm usually a stickler for authenticity... Think you could go to your local MD dealer and get this kind of hose? They'd probably sell it to you by the foot and for not very much?
Feel that. I wish... I have a Hate relationship with my local MB dealer. I would rather have my car blow up than buy something from them.

There are 2 MB dealers in Tampa. But to drive an hour each way for a few feet of hose, I’m not there.

·
1991 500SEC Euro, 1987 560SEC Federal
5,468 Posts
I have a Hate relationship with my local MB dealer.
......and one has to drive a bit to pick up the parts ordered 'via internet convenience' from the 'folks on the ground' that you may 'have issues' with. Its all good really,
Sooo, were it me.... Make your choice, drive a terrif car if need be,, and go forward. And cultivate the relationship with the parts department personnel.

Go forward with positivity with the MB parts person. Make a connection. Get a smile the next time in.

We all have our experiences, you know?

MBL

·
Registered
1989 300SE 239k miles
2,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
......and one has to drive a bit to pick up the parts ordered 'via internet convenience' from the 'folks on the ground' that you may 'have issues' with. Its all good really,
Sooo, were it me.... Make your choice, drive a terrif car if need be,, and go forward. And cultivate the relationship with the parts department personnel.

Go forward with positivity with the MB parts person. Make a connection. Get a smile the next time in.

We all have our experiences, you know?

MBL
Feel this. I really really do. I fact, I did it. Had a great relationship with a guy with my first r129. Bought parts there all the time.

Then MB Sarasota fired that guy. And they have marked up parts by at least 100% over MBUSA MSRP ever since. Actually, what they do is charge full MBUSA MSRP, and then charge for shipping to the dealership, and add a surcharge no one can explain. Except that surcharge always bumps the part’s cost to at least 2 x’s MBUSA MSRP. ...It’s been their policy for over 5 years.

·
Registered
1982 MERCEDES 280SE AUSTRALIAN DELIVERED RHD
172 Posts
Feel this. I really really do. I fact, I did it. Had a great relationship with a guy with my first r129. Bought parts there all the time.

Then MB Sarasota fired that guy. And they have marked up parts by at least 100% over MBUSA MSRP ever since. Actually, what they do is charge full MBUSA MSRP, and then charge for shipping to the dealership, and add a surcharge no one can explain. Except that surcharge always bumps the part’s cost to at least 2 x’s MBUSA MSRP. ...It’s been their policy for over 5 years.
These guys Home Australia ENZED - Australia make top quality fluid hoses & connectors, for a simple or pressure hose, high-end commercial motors, cars, trucks etc. It would be worthwhile contacting them isthenew, and see if they can manufacture any hoses you need, and post to your door. Sounds like a business opportunity there for someone to set up & compete. I have a couple of 928's & one of the reasons we don't buy parts from Porsche is the lazy, slack-arse, superior attitude of the two major suppliers in Sydney & Melbourne. 3 weeks for a quote ex-Germany, and we can get the same part at a fraction of the cost in a few days at our door via FedEx, from someone else.

·
Registered
1984 500SEL 1984 380SE
355 Posts
When I refreshed my cooling system last summer, I replaced that hose with a regular rubber hose from AutohausAZ. It was even listed as the overflow hose from the radiator cap or something similar. I routed it down the inside of the fender, around and over to the radiator then down and zip tied the end to the lower radiator hose so it will vent harmlessly under the car.

·
Registered
Too many to list
10,290 Posts

There are a number of mb dealers with online ordering at a discount

·
Registered
1989 300SE 239k miles
2,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
There are a number of mb dealers with online ordering at a discount
Yeah. That’s what I do now. Usually from a place on the east coast of Florida.

I literally live 5 minutes from MB Sarasota. It should be super easy for me to run to my dealer for things.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Hello All,

Working on my 1989 300SE with 238k miles. I need to replace the hose that goes from the coolant expansion tank that drains to the outside. The one that attaches at the rear of the radiator cap. I lt drains out under the right fender.
View attachment 2689537

It seems to be woven. Is it a generic hose I can buy at a parts store? Or is it a special MB hose? Is it worth me snagging a replacement one when I go to the salvage yard in the next few days?

Thanks,
Bill
it does not really accomplish anything much , anything there will work , like gas hose of the right size .we are not dealing here with a 300sl gullwing .

·
Registered
1989 300SE 239k miles
2,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
it does not really accomplish anything much , anything there will work , like gas hose of the right size .we are not dealing here with a 300sl gullwing .
Awesome to know! I don’t have any hose for it here. I cut a 6 inch section I’ll take to NAPA when I buy new coolant tomorrow. So I know I have the right inner diameter 😉

·
Registered
W140 S320 ´95, blue black / black leather; MB 300SE '90, anthrazite grey, black leather
227 Posts
I have a plastic container inside the fender where that hose connects to, did not see a mention of that (if all cars have it, I do not know...)

Reactions: isthenew

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
17,013 Posts
Some cars have that extra container but not all. Mine don't.

·
Registered
1989 300SE 239k miles
2,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have a plastic container inside the fender where that hose connects to, did not see a mention of that (if all cars have it, I do not know...)
Interesting. I haven’t removed my right fender yet, so I don’t know what’s inside. I know can’t pull the hose out of the fender into the engine bay. I was resigned to removing the fender, but now I’m curious.

·
Outstanding Contributor
1989 560SEC, 1989 560SEL, 1995 E420
5,089 Posts
Interesting. I haven’t removed my right fender yet, so I don’t know what’s inside. I know can’t pull the hose out of the fender into the engine bay. I was resigned to removing the fender, but now I’m curious.
No need to remove the fender. Just pull the plastic inner fender and it's right there. Piece of cake.

·
1991 500SEC Euro, 1987 560SEC Federal
5,468 Posts
It IS easy to be sure.

I've never done it here, but I did purchase a new Right inner liner for mine several years ago, totally unused.. of course...
Overreaction to a crack at one of the screw fastener flanges.... A 126 884 02 35

RT Partition Panel.png C55E5DEC-2E4C-4822-B735-21CF5B78D837.jpeg

M

·
Registered
W140 S320 ´95, blue black / black leather; MB 300SE '90, anthrazite grey, black leather
227 Posts
Here is a photo. On the grass you'll see the amount of crud that was accumulated in there over the years...

Canister.jpg

1 - 20 of 20 Posts