Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2002 CL55 AMG, 1993 190E 2.3L, 2004 SLK320 Sport
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I wonder if anyone can help me with this?
I have parktronic and I'm not sure exactly how it works? When I push the on/off switch (shifter consol) the indicators (dashboard)
turn on immediately with two bars and a beep sound. Within a couple of seconds the indicators turn off, but the switch shows
a red light which tells me that the system is still on?
When i approach something really close, the indicators do not illuminate or work?
Is this a sensor, harness issue, head unit, computer, ecu problem?
Thanks

·
Registered
2004 Chevy Tahoe LT, 2012 VW Jetta 2.oh slow, 1998 E55 AMG
261 Posts
Hyprr1,

Ive got exactly the same symptoms with my parktronic, I was speaking to a tech from the local dealership a couple of weeks ago and he said its a simple fix.
Ill get in touch with him again and hopefully in the next week or so ill get it sorted out or atleast find out a solution. Ill update with the latest once I find out...

·
Registered
2002 CL55 AMG, 1993 190E 2.3L, 2004 SLK320 Sport
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you, "foreverBenz"............

·
Registered
Tercel
534 Posts
the symptoms you have does not appear on mine. Perhaps the sensors are
unplugged behind the bumper covers. :dunno:

·
Registered
'68 280SE (w108), '72 280SE 3.5(w108), '88 560SEL(w126), '97 E50 (W210
179 Posts
When the parktronic indicators beep and show two red bars, the system is in error mode. It might help to check the car for codes. And maybe wait for foreverBenz and the advice from his tech.

When we start the car the system checks the sensors for proper function, and shuts down the system if an error is detected. I have that problem when I put the car in reverse (although I don't know if that means one or more of the rear sensors are defective), but when I shift back to 'D' the front indicators work properly.

So far that's as far as I've gone with diagnosing the problem, since I normally turn the system off when driving, otherwise the sensors would be screaming the whole time with the bumper to bumper traffic we have here.

I'm still looking for a possible solution, and maybe I need to pull the codes (if any) again.

·
Registered
W211/W210 Estate /W209/W208
1,970 Posts
Its best to use the Star to trouble shoot the Parktronic system. It will tell you whats defective without the trial and error of replacing parts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Gentlemen,

I spoke to my techie on the phone....and he said its definitely a faulty sensor as my system does work albeit very rarely.

I clarified what he meant by the 'simple fix' and that was in respect of just replacing the faulty sensor.

The techie said exactly what Mark and Triskaideka said and that is to take the car in for a diagnostic check and find out which sensor's playing up.
Unfortunately, for the time being I cant take my car in as I have an important exam in a couple of weeks.

Btw, Triskaideka...seems like ur parktronic is in better shape than mine :)!

Hyprr1....I wont be able to get a diagnostic any time soon, if you get a chance to get a diagnostic before I do, ur input would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Gents, an update on the parktronic!

Finally got my car tested...here's what it says on the printed sheet:

PTS - Parktronic system
Code: B1248-002 Text: A42b3 Left inner sensor, front bumper. The plug connection has poor contact or is loose or the sensor or cable is faulty.

·
Registered
98 SLK230K AMG, 98 E55T, 89 2.5-16
213 Posts
wow! i never thought the diag result would be THAT complete! BTW, i was at ATC last monday and i saw a dark blue E50 entering the covered parking area. wonder who that was..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts