Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
CLK 270 2003
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, one of my front parking sensors keeps alarming out when I'm nowhere near anything. It works fine when I park up etc, but still the anomaly. Any suggestions ? 2003 CLK

·
Premium Member
2004 CLK 240 Coupe
11,377 Posts
Individual sensors can fail. However, the PTS is inhibited when the car is moving at more than 14 mph. What is happenening when you get the spurious signal?

Owners manual advises that the system can be affected by ultrasonic signals from passing vehicles giving spurious alarms.

·
Registered
CLK 270 2003
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can be sitting in the car going nowhere or manoeuvring with no obstacles nearby. I have given the sensors the obvious clean with no joy. Is it easy to single out each sensor without taking the car to pieces. If I tape over them I presume they will sense the tape and bleep away continuously. The ultrasonic signal thing is interesting, I don't think there is a pattern regarding where I am when the sensors kick in, but I will take a conscious note. Yeah, not a continuous issue and I turn the sensors off when it annoys me. Trouble is when you turn them off and you forget you have done so ....I've had a couple of close calls, you get used to waiting for the alarm and stupidly don't look so carefully. Any suggestions appreciated.

·
Registered
500SE AMG, E350 4matic, GL 450
5,853 Posts
I can be sitting in the car going nowhere or manoeuvring with no obstacles nearby. I have given the sensors the obvious clean with no joy. Is it easy to single out each sensor without taking the car to pieces. If I tape over them I presume they will sense the tape and bleep away continuously. The ultrasonic signal thing is interesting, I don't think there is a pattern regarding where I am when the sensors kick in, but I will take a conscious note. Yeah, not a continuous issue and I turn the sensors off when it annoys me. Trouble is when you turn them off and you forget you have done so ....I've had a couple of close calls, you get used to waiting for the alarm and stupidly don't look so carefully. Any suggestions appreciated.
I had issues with the parking sensors on our E55 AMG this past winter. The owners manual has instructions on how to clean them-which I did. I also made sure they were securely plugged in from the rear. So I reached up behind the bumper and did so. This took care of my problem. It is worth a try on yours. If not, from what I have read you can have the dealership scan to figure out if an individual sensor is bad. Good luck. I know the annoyance of having those sensors sound when they should not be making any noise.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Make sure that all sensors are in place. If a sensor is slightly out of place it can cause false signals. If all are ok then you have a bad sensor. Will need someone with an sds to scan for codes.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts