Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
'99 SL 500 Sport
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a car that I need to park on the grass as my garage is full. I only use it once a week and want to know if I'm doing any harm by parking on the grass. Will moisture on the underside be a problem for the chassis or brakes? It's a 1999 so it's fully rustproofed. Thx.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I have a car that I need to park on the grass as my garage is full. I only use it once a week and want to know if I'm doing any harm by parking on the grass. Will moisture on the underside be a problem for the chassis or brakes? It's a 1999 so it's fully rustproofed. Thx.
Water and UV are very bad for tires. If you have low mileage you may degrade the integrity of the tires long before they look to need replacement.

Try to get the car up off the grass onto a dry surface and cover the tires for the time you are not using the car.

·
Registered
1962 W111 220SE Coupe
2,289 Posts
The bigger issue is the height of the grass, if the grass is touching the car then yes there can be corrosion issues. You also increase the possibility of rodent infestation in an open air, non-paved environment. If you must, move the car enough to allow you to mow under and cover the tires as suggested, and even parking on strips of plywood will be better than sitting directly on the ground for an extended period.

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
35,904 Posts
Moisture damage in Texas???
The issues of parking on different grounds is popular on RV forum, since those vehicles are parked quite often for 6-10 months. Unless you have sprinklers spraying on the car, I don't think you have to worry about that in Texas.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts