Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2007 sl550
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2007 SL550 right rear parking light is out. Old one looked good bought a new one still no joy any suggestions left side is good are they individually feed by different fuses? TIA Dave

·
Registered
2009 SL550
313 Posts
Both my front marker lights are out after changing headlamp, and bulb swap of those didn’t help. I’m perplexed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
CURRENT: 2011 SL550 FORMER: C300, ML350, CLK550 Cabriolet, C240, ML320, 300TD
22,102 Posts
The exterior lights are not fused. Instead, each bulb (or LED assembly) is electronically controlled by the SAMs. When the SAM detects an improper current draw, such as with a bad bulb or a short, it shuts down the circuit. This makes it impossible to check voltage output on socket with a meter. With SDS, you can activate individual bulbs for testing. I'd visually inspect the socket and wiring for any obvious problems like corrosion, rodent chewing, etc.

·
Registered
2007 sl550
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No everything visually it’s fine nothing wrong?
The exterior lights are not fused. Instead, each bulb (or LED assembly) is electronically controlled by the SAMs. When the SAM detects an improper current draw, such as with a bad bulb or a short, it shuts down the circuit. This makes it impossible to check voltage output on socket with a meter. With SDS, you can activate individual bulbs for testing. I'd visually inspect the socket and wiring for any obvious problems like corrosion, rodent chewing, etc.

·
22,102 Posts
So if you swap bulbs side to side, the right side still does not work? That will rule out a bad bulb. If the wiring and socket look good, it could be a bad SAM. I assume you are also getting an error on the instrument cluster? If not, that points to a bad SAM.

·
Registered
2007 sl550
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bought new bulb still no light. No error on the dash. So which SAM unit would I be looking for and it’s location
So if you swap bulbs side to side, the right side still does not work? That will rule out a bad bulb. If the wiring and socket look good, it could be a bad SAM. I assume you are also getting an error on the instrument cluster? If not, that points to a bad SAM.

·
22,102 Posts
Rear SAM controls the rear lights. But I just realized something: The rear park lights are LEDs. The LED light bar is used for both park lights and brake lights. The replaceable bulbs are only for the fog lights and turn signals. EDIT: And backup (reverse) lights, plus the tag lights in the trunk lid.

·
Registered
2007 sl550
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry my mistake it’s the bulb above the LED brake ligh. It’s a amber colored bulb
Rear SAM controls the rear lights. But I just realized something: The rear park lights are LEDs. The LED light bar is used for both park lights and brake lights. The replaceable bulbs are only for the fog lights and turn signals.

·
22,102 Posts
That's the turn signal. So that does not work? Do the front turn signals work?

·
22,102 Posts
It's either a bad rear SAM or a wiring issue.

·
22,102 Posts
It's part of the rear fuse panel, under the storage compartment behind the right seat. But don't go throwing parts at this! I'd recommend either getting your own SDS setup or finding someone who has it to check it out. If you want to trace and check wires, here's the wiring diagram:

Obviously you need to disconnect both batteries before working with the SAM to prevent shorts and damage form electrical surges. It looks like it's the "Black with Green stripe" wire that connects to pin 32 of connector #4 on the SAM. Connector #4 is the largest one.

·
Registered
2007 sl550
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thank you sir you are a god. I will check in out and see what I can find if not I’m taking it to my Indy next week and having a full tranny flush. I’ll have him through it on the SDS and see what he say. Thanks again I’ll report back when I find out
It's part of the rear fuse panel, under the storage compartment behind the right seat. But don't go throwing parts at this! I'd recommend either getting your own SDS setup or finding someone who has it to check it out. If you want to trace and check wires, here's the wiring diagram:

Obviously you need to disconnect both batteries before working with the SAM to prevent shorts and damage form electrical surges. It looks like it's the "Black with Green stripe" wire that connects to pin 32 of connector #4 on the SAM. Connector #4 is the largest one.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts