Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
1999 E320 4Matic (Sold) 2002 E320 4Matic (Sold) 1997 Infinity QX 4 SUV 4x4 (Survival vehicle)
877 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Replaced the parking lamp sockets on my 99 E320. Due to age, and heat from the halogen lamps, the originals simply disintegrated.
Rest of the wiring was in good shape, so only the parking lamp sockets needed replacing.

Simply remove the cover, cut off the old socket, strip the wires about 1/4" to 5/16". Use insulated female connectors, and crimp them well, making sure no copper wire is exposed. (22-18 gauge females)

Plug in the new connector, male, which are attached to the new part.
Wires are color coded, so there is no guessing.

Insert new Halogen H6W bulb into new socket, and twist socket 1/4 turn into housing. I cleaned the bulb with Alcohol swab before inserting, just in case me, or the parts guy, put their fingers on it.

Use a small zip tie on the new wiring, to make it look good, replace the cover, and DONE.

Got the new parts from Autohaus, and the total cost for both sides, was $42.43 including shipping.

Attachments

·
Registered
2001 E430 220K mi. Obsidian Black metallic, Ash/Orion Grey interior
1,252 Posts
Very nice writeup! Thanks.

Fred

·
Registered
2000 E320 Sedan, 2002 E430 Sedan
84 Posts
Excellent tip on the female quick connectors! Really made the job very easy. I was trying to trace the wires back and couldn't get deep enough to see where the original connectors would have been. Maybe it was designed to be spliced as you described anyway. Got my pesky Lamp Defective/Check Lamps warning light turned off. Thank you!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts