Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
'05 G55K GE
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've got a line on a new MY05 Grand Edition but am balking due to parking height restrictions. The G55 is 77.8"s and the minimum clearance in my garage is 6"6" or 78"s. There is another G Wagen in the building although I've never met the owner. Is the rubber antenna on the roof the peak height of the vehicle? Or is the plane of the roof the maximum height. Sigh....I really want it but it will be surgically tight to park. Lowering kit?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers.

·
Registered
range sport supercharged
181 Posts
Same problem in paris you cannot get in. and I tried...
G is 1.93m and the maximum accepted is 1.80m

to me the highest part is the end of the roof

·
Registered
G55K, 360CS, F430
412 Posts
Brabus offers a stabalizer or suspension kit consisting of springs and shocks that lowers the G by 25-30 mm.

·
Registered
2001 ML270CDI
162 Posts
Around here, the garage of one of the shopping malls has a max height of 2.10m and my G tops out at 2m. Feels a little tight in the height, but the biggest problem is the narrow aisles and parking spaces. The parking spaces are a squeeze, but I frequently have to back up a little in the aisles because of my G's wide turning radius. I have a 460, so the turning radius is quite a bit wider than the 463.

Thankfully, the running boards will mangle the doors of any idiots that parks too close to me and throws open their doors. My doors is left just fine :)

An old woman in a Mitsubishi drove into me while I was parked and still sitting in the car. Her car had damage for $2000-$2500, while the G suffered from a slightly bent registration plate...

Johan-Kr

·
Premium Member
2007 ML320CDI, 1959 220SE, 1971 280SL, 1982 380SL
830 Posts
If it is a particular garage you need to enter, do some close examination of the garage. Often, height measurments given are bit lower than the actual height available to allow for error in measuring.. Sometimes, the height measurment is based on some particular corner or place where there is a low light fixture or water sprinkler. By checking it out, you may find it actually has more clearance available than then numbers might suggest.

·
Registered
'05 G55K GE
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Appreciated,
It's a six storey building with 14 units so the garage is quite small, its that I have to make an immediate left and a hard right alongside a concrete barrier to my right and the choice of an A8, X5, or E Class to my left as my neighbour rotates those cars - my parking situation is a horrorshow. Approx. 1" height clearance in areas that affect my parking manouvers....according to my measurements.

Thanks for the replies,

Play Safe.

·
Registered
2002 G500
129 Posts
Sorry to bring this all the way back up to the top, but I'm curious about how large of an issue it is for G's in parking garages, residential garages, etc.?

Will a G500 fit in a standard-height residential garage? I know the width is not an issue, but I guess I didn't realize the height was? Have sports cars and "lowered" vehicles all my life, I guess I've take that consideration for granted.

·
Registered
82 280GE SWB, 01 C240 (Sold), 00 LR Disco II, 02 Ford Focus
38 Posts
B & O Guy: Please fill out the location part of your profile. If we know where you are located, then someone in that country may know something and can assist you. To answer your question, the listed height of the g is to the foofline, not the max height of antenna.

Cyntaxx: Parking a G in the parking garage (in the United States) should not be an issue. Although I have an '82 280GE, I have not had issues when my wife and I visit friends who live in high rise residences in the downtown area. From what I understand, the US has strict building codes for parking garages just like having strict building codes for any other man-made structures. As a rule of thumb, I would take a measuring tape with me and measure key height areas in the garage: entry/exit point, proposed parking space, etc... Also, I would make sure my parking space did not have some duct, pipe, or conduit above because this could affect/hamper the height space for your G.

·
Registered
2005 G500
47 Posts
Funny - we have a house that is 75 years old with garage that is old and smaller than new homes today. It never entered my mind about the G fitting in it until I drove it home and put it in for the first time - very scary - it fits but because of the high back end of the roof very close but it fits unless for some reason the garage door isn't up all the way and it would bump it. I have to always watch for that.

·
Registered
2002 G500
129 Posts
B&O Guy said:
Beware, as always, with valet hijinx, best to tip heavy and leave out front.

Haha, ain't that the truth. Tip heavy is relative though - how much do you tip valet in your area? For us, $10-15 covers most places. Chicagoland area is a bit more.

·
Registered
2005 G500
47 Posts
There is a restaurant I go to with a girlfriend and I have to park it across the street and walk because it won't fit in their garage and not enough spaces in front - I noticed the guy one time driving it into the garage and I literally had to run out of the restaurant screaming for him to stop.

·
Registered
2005 G500
47 Posts
I forgot to mention that I knocked the top off of my Mitsubishi Montero back in 1990 right after I got it not noticing the height on my parking garage. Had to let the air out of the tires to get it out of there. Not a good day.

·
Registered
'05 G55K GE
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I used to live in the Loop a couple of years ago and a $20-30 stipend would suffice depending on the establishment. I'm currently in Vancouver, B.C. where $40 Canadian and a non-too-subtle physical threat seem to obviate any problems.

·
Registered
G320 & E500
1,202 Posts
It depends on if you have a full tank of fuel vs empty tank... just kidding....

Whenever I question the height, I open the sun-roof and take a look. It is really wierd to be sitting down and being able to touch the ceiling of the garage!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts