Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2000 SLK230
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, new member here with a question about my recently purchased '14 GLK350. The parking brake pedal releases very slowly. If it's cold it wont release at all without help( pulling up with your foot). The parking brake it self releases OK as long as you help the pedal. Dealership wants 500.00 to replace the pedal assembly. As anyone had one of these assemblies apart? JohnB

·
Registered
1999 E430; 2005 ML500
1,603 Posts
I haven’t done it on this car, but usually the pedal has a spiral spring in it to provide the return force, and it sounds like yours may have come unwound. You should be able to unbolt the pedal and look to see what you can do.

·
W163 Crash Test Driver
2008 ML350 (Me!), 2010 GLK350 (Wife), 2003 ML-350 (Deceased)
1,479 Posts
I recently had to replace the parking brake pedal on my sons C230, and from what I have seen in the EPC the vast majority of MB vehicles share the same one or two parts. There are two brass Torx screws on the backside on the pedal that appear to hold the coiled spring in place. The brake pedal replacement doc in WIS says explicitly not to mess with the these however, or the part will become "irreparable damaged". Having never tried, I don't know what would happen! Maybe it would explode like the "worm" in a trick can of peanuts, I don't know.

·
Registered
2000 SLK230
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys for your replies. The parking brake releases ok when temps. are warm( some what slow but releases fully). When temps drop below 30 or 35 degrees it has to be helped. The wife says don't worry about{ she never uses it any way) but it drives me crazy. Is there another place to source the parking brake assemble besides the dealership?

·
Registered
1999 E430; 2005 ML500
1,603 Posts
I believe this is the part number. 2044201584

If it was me, I would unmount the parking brake and try to wrap the coil spring one revolution tighter. Worst case is you break it and need to order the new part (which I would order from a place allowing returns). If it’s broken, just don’t use it until you fix it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts