Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 2002 ml 320. When I press the brake pedal the parking brake light and the brake pad wear lights come on. When I release the brake they go off. Does anyone have any idea what would cause this? I'm going to trade it in but I gotta fix this first.

·
Registered
2002 ML55 AMG, 2005 Chrysler Crossfire Coupe Limited, 1999 C280
4,714 Posts
i have a 2002 ml 320. When I press the brake pedal the parking brake light and the brake pad wear lights come on. When I release the brake they go off. Does anyone have any idea what would cause this? I'm going to trade it in but I gotta fix this first.
Is this some sort of trick question?:eek:

Do you own a truck manual?

Can you read?

Kindly, check your brake fluid level and/or change your brake pads.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What does the parking brake light have to do with the pad wear light when the brake is pressed??? i put new pads on about 6 months ago and the brake fluid is full. If the pads were worn down the light wouldn't come on and go off depending on if the brake was being pressed. and again the parking brake is not related to the brake pad wear sensor. But thanks for being a douche bag. Anyone that has some USEFUL advice I would appreciate your input.

·
Purple Moderator
99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
22,119 Posts
Try releasing the parking brake and then pull the pedal all the way up with with your foot
or hand from the back of the pedal. If the light goes out it is the switch in the mechanism
up front. The switch may not be bad, but the tension needed to fully retract the entire
mechanism may not be present due to a bad cable or spring.

·
Registered
2002 ML55 AMG, 2005 Chrysler Crossfire Coupe Limited, 1999 C280
4,714 Posts
What does the parking brake light have to do with the pad wear light when the brake is pressed??? i put new pads on about 6 months ago and the brake fluid is full. If the pads were worn down the light wouldn't come on and go off depending on if the brake was being pressed. and again the parking brake is not related to the brake pad wear sensor. But thanks for being a douche bag. Anyone that has some USEFUL advice I would appreciate your input.
Oh yeah, it's easy to call people names over the internet.

ASK a STUPID question and you can expect to get flamed.

:asshat:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Try releasing the parking brake and then pull the pedal all the way up with with your foot
or hand from the back of the pedal. If the light goes out it is the switch in the mechanism
up front. The switch may not be bad, but the tension needed to fully retract the entire
mechanism may not be present due to a bad cable or spring.
I have tried that and I'm going to replace the parking brake light switch anyways and hope that helps. I just dont understand how the 2 lights are connected. They both come on and go off at simutaneously. If i'm pressing the brake and the lights come on when i push the pedal to the floor they go off. or when there is no pressure on the brake at all they go off. It's weird. But thanks for your suggestion.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh yeah, it's easy to call people names over the internet.

ASK a STUPID question and you can expect to get flamed.

:asshat:
Asking for advice from other members that may have had the same problem is different than asking a dumb question. A dumb question would be," my fuel gauge is on empty what do I do? " Having a technical problem and doing research and still not finding an answer is what these forums are for.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts