Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
93 190E 2.6; 82 300 SD Turbo
1,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Evening everyone,
I have a question and I know some of you *might* have this same problem. I have a pair of Infinity 12" subs in my trunk that, when cranked up, shake the crap out of my parcel shelf / hat rack, i can hear it rattle when the bass hits. Does anyone know of or has completed any way of preventing this from happening?

Thanks,

kris

·
Registered
1984 280SEL AMG
701 Posts
Errm, not blasting it so loud?? If it's an easy removal, pull out the rear deck and place a thin foam in between the deck and the car. that should eleveate the problem.

·
Registered
300 SEL- 190D- 380 SEC
227 Posts
ditto, might need to do some thing about the hatch(s) too. Mine kind of came off, so I put some plexi- glass there.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the answers all, my friend and I removed the hat rack and put some weatherstripping (i had a lot left over from a previous project) on the metal where the trays sat and around the metal where the hat rack meets the car itself. Worked VERY well, no rattles at all. I had a lot of difficult putting the C panel trim back on, turns out one of the clips for one of them broke off (a portion of the metal) does anyone know where ican get another, im sure they are cheap.

THanks

·
Registered
1985 300sd
445 Posts
JamesDean - 4/29/2005 10:49 PM

thanks for the answers all, my friend and I removed the hat rack and put some weatherstripping (i had a lot left over from a previous project) on the metal where the trays sat and around the metal where the hat rack meets the car itself. Worked VERY well, no rattles at all. I had a lot of difficult putting the C panel trim back on, turns out one of the clips for one of them broke off (a portion of the metal) does anyone know where ican get another, im sure they are cheap.

THanks
That's strange, I never had to remove my C-pillars when i took out my rear parcel shelves.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I HAD to, i saw that they were keeping the rack in, i could lift it up over them at all. Also i had the service manual and i was following its instructions.

G

·
0 Posts
I'm planning on putting a sub in my trunk also, but haven't decided yet how to do it. How are your subs set up? Are they mounted in a box or open air? facing the rear? Bandpass box?

I assume they aren't mounted to the rear shelf, right? Did you make any other mods to the rear shelf other than your anti-vibration weather stripping? I've heard of some people pulling the trays to get more sound into the cabin. Heard the gas tank tends to deaden the sound a bit, not sure how true that is.

Thanks for your comments.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Smokin' 420 - 5/5/2005 12:14 AM

I'm planning on putting a sub in my trunk also, but haven't decided yet how to do it. How are your subs set up? Are they mounted in a box or open air? facing the rear? Bandpass box?

I assume they aren't mounted to the rear shelf, right? Did you make any other mods to the rear shelf other than your anti-vibration weather stripping? I've heard of some people pulling the trays to get more sound into the cabin. Heard the gas tank tends to deaden the sound a bit, not sure how true that is.

Thanks for your comments.
hey, I have a pair of Infinity 12" (300w rms each) with a Rockford Fosgate amp, right now, it positioned in the middle of my trunk. and it sounds great. they are in a sealed box, no ports, not bandpass. I only have the anti-vibration mod and my trunk has been dynamated.
Some Pics,

Actually, I have 3 of them 12s but i only use 2 becaue the amp doesnt have enough power to run all 3 and maintain the "punch" of the sound.

Hope this helps,

Kris

G

·
0 Posts
Thanks for the great pics Kris, this helps. Where did you mount your amp (or amps if you have another for your head unit)? I'm going to have two, but haven't figured out a mounting scheme yet.

John

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I only have 1 amp...its mounted on the back of the sub box. I decided not to get a second amp as i only have 3" speakers and 4x6s. I am seeking a brown 86 or later parcel shelf from a 126.

Kris

G

·
0 Posts
I guess mounting it to the sub box probably makes the most sense, although I'm a little concerned about vibration.

Coincidentally, I have a dark brown interior, and was thinking about picking up a second parcel shelf if I could get one cheap. Was thinking about removing the trays and lids, covering with some kind of grill/speaker cover, and trying to get more bass into the cabin. Not sure if I will need it, since I don't have anything installed yet, so that won't be tops on my list of things to do. Also not willing to carve up my original parcel shelf. I wonder if you couldn't dye a light colored shelf dark brown without too much hassle. Just a thought.

John

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Smokin' 420 - 5/5/2005 12:32 PM

I guess mounting it to the sub box probably makes the most sense, although I'm a little concerned about vibration.

Coincidentally, I have a dark brown interior, and was thinking about picking up a second parcel shelf if I could get one cheap. Was thinking about removing the trays and lids, covering with some kind of grill/speaker cover, and trying to get more bass into the cabin. Not sure if I will need it, since I don't have anything installed yet, so that won't be tops on my list of things to do. Also not willing to carve up my original parcel shelf. I wonder if you couldn't dye a light colored shelf dark brown without too much hassle. Just a thought.

John

John,
you've read this thread im sure, i did the weather stripping thing and it worked extremely well. I put stripping on the metal groove the tray sit in, and around most of the metal that came into contact with the shelf. Your dye-ing idea, is what i am planning on doing. If i can, i want to find a 86 or later parcel shelf, i am told that MB put in i think much larger speakers than my 82. Im not sure the size. As you know my shelf now, has faded to an odd green, rather than dye that brown i figure i can get one with larger speakers, possibly grey (i think it will be easier to dye--not sure thou) and dye it to brown.

As for the vibration (the bad ones) the weather stripping stuff worked wonders on it. All i have now is clean bass. Also, my subs are centered in my trunk and it seems to be louder that way, im not sure. I am getting a new deck (Pioneer DEH-P80MP) soon. Ill post pics of the install and what not in another thread.

Luck 2 You,

Kris

G

·
0 Posts
Kris,
Thanks again for the pics and comments will help me out. Not sure how big the speakers are in your '82 shelf, but in my '89, the stock speakers are 6", but will easily hold a 6.5" (I've got some 6.5" 3-ways on order).

Looking forward to a new thread on the rest of your stereo adventures.

John

1 - 14 of 14 Posts