Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
1981 280e
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After putting up with sub standard speakers made up a parcel shelf with sub inclosure incorperated, and finished grill [:D][^]

Attachments

·
Registered
1995 E320 Sportline W124
790 Posts
Now that's neat! both grille and speakers!

What kind of speaker you use? Sony 3 way speaker?

[:)]

·
Registered
1981 280e
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The 6 by 9 are and the amp to drive the sub is to but the sub is US Audio as the sony's magnet was way to big to fit in the old med kit hole and still be able to box it up[:)]

·
Registered
200 -85 / 280E -79
1,221 Posts
Nice work!!! [:D] How did you fasten the extra chrome in the grll then? [:p]

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
Great work on the grille! I must say those clear corners might be better off with smoked ones. Your Euros have a shady feel to it and the smoked corners cleanly blends in well. IMHO your clear corners right now stand out.

Also, paint your hood latch (at least just the front part). It's easy to remove/disassemble. Just use a longnose pliers and pull out the locking tab.

Keep it up! [;)]

·
Registered
1990 300SE, 1983 300D
1,201 Posts
Both look really good. That radio must be loud as hell. The stock speakers I got now are loud!

·
Registered
1981 280e
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Going out now to paint hood latch , on the extra chrome I have cheated by using a chrome door chip stopper thingy that I got from the local auto shop , it just pushed on and does not look that different to the orriginal.

·
Registered
2005 w203, 2013 Town & Country
2,181 Posts
looks great on both projects...

a few things i see...i agree to go with a smoked turn signal up front to make the ligthing graphics more uniform. it looks like there is enough room to have fitted a thin third brake light into the speaker box...i am glad to know you painted the pull tab..

one last thing, i hope that the speaker box is secure and held in place real well...i hate to think like this but in a rear end, or any collision i would not want that thing flying around my interior...ouch!

looks great
jake

·
Registered
1981 280e
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The speaker box is seculy fitted and the hood latch is now black (looks much better).There is no glue on the chrome strips as they fit very snug over the plastic and they only come off if your a bit agressive .The pics do tend to make the headlights seem smoked but most of the time they look clear (the pics were taken at dusk)[:)]

·
Registered
1981 280e
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The wheels are 16 by 7 Centra's , there actually off a w126 and after I first saw them they were a gota have[:D]

·
Registered
483 Posts
I went by autozone today and saw the chrome door molding and it reminded me of what you did to the grille.

Did you paint your grille? What kind of paint did you use? For the horizontal strips, is it one piece that goes across the whole grille, or is it really separated by the vertical strip, so there is really 2 horizontal on each one?

·
Registered
1981 280e
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Painted the grill with a spray can for exterior plastic (bumpers, mirrors etc) and the chrome strip is in 2 peices seperated by the vertical chrome strip.

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
gdbmj - 2/16/2005 8:58 PM

Going out now to paint hood latch , on the extra chrome I have cheated by using a chrome door chip stopper thingy that I got from the local auto shop , it just pushed on and does not look that different to the orriginal.
Now that I've read it, and on closer inspection the extra chrome strips do look thinner than the original ones. Still not bad, didn't notice them at first. And adds that unique alternating pattern once you see the difference. [;)]

The chrome strips just cut easily, right? On mine I used a pair of metal cutters. Better to leave surplus than to cut them too short--just hide the surplus behind the grille frame, like it was with the original grille.

Actually now you got me thinking of blacking mine out. Here is a pair of editted pics. What do you think?

Attachments

1 - 20 of 54 Posts