Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Standard E350 / 71,155 mi.
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats up, Im pretty new at this, Im actually an audi guy and i just switched over to the benz world. I am paranoid about alot of things and im pretty paranoid about this.... i have a 2007 e350 (no 4matic) and is the oil you put in 8.5 quarts? thats what it says in the owners manual and on his computer...thats a loot of oil. But anyways i got the mobil1 0w40 and im not sure if my mechanic put all 9 quarts or 8.5, is it alright if he put in 8.6- 9.0 (up to .5 more)? thanks any info would be great i dont want my engine to crumble.. hopefully it will be alright? thanks!

·
Registered
2000 C280- 2000 E320 wagon
44 Posts
It's going to taken between 8-9 qts. Start Low and check the dipstick. The 272-273 engine family is finicky on it's oil level. It's neve the same from eng. To eng.

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
It's actually designed for 8 liters, which works out to just under 8.5 USQ. Check the level of course, but I'd place a call to the mechanic and ask him if he added all nine. (If so I'd personally avoid him in the future). One of my 210 buds just adds 8 USQ when he changes his, when it reaches a quart low he adds the last one. I tend to be a bit more anal than that and add 8.5 since that is easy enough to do.

·
Registered
E350 4M 06
2,744 Posts
My MB dealer uses 9 quarts for the 272's. You should be more paranoid about the viscosity, the dealers use 5W-40 Mobil 1 European formula, although both 0W and 5W are approved, the dealer states that a factory bulletin changed the 0W to 5W a few years ago. You can buy 5W from he dealer at a reasonable price.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the advice ill definitely keep that in mind! i dont know.... everyone still uses 0w40 like almost everywhere... but anyways do you think i should be good for now at least another 2000 miles? i dont want anything messing up

·
Registered
'04 G55 '80 280GE '99 S420 '98 E320 2011 E350 2016 GLA250
3,104 Posts
If you mean by "European Forumla" 5w-40 ESP... then this is NOT for a M272... and hopefully your dealer is NOT dumping this DIESEL formula into gas engines.

Yes, many moons ago, the "ESP" formula WAS on sheet 229.5, but was quickly removed.

The ESP is on Sheet 229.51, which is for Diesels.

Now, with that all said, there IS an approved 5W-40, Called "Formula M", which is ONLY available through your Dealership since this formula is, basically, made for MB.

WARNING! The "ESP" formula is labeled as "Mobil 1 ESP Formula M 5W-40", so don't get the two confused!

Here's a pic of the "Real" Formula M for M272

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
whew! good thing. stuck to the original 0w40!! haha you all are very helpful! But the question still remains.. is it safe to drive with .5 above recommended 8.5 quart oil? I was going to siphon out the rest if i had too but... when i opened where i was going to all i could see was a chain... so..dont know.. and this one is pretty hard ive been trying to figure out.. where in the world is tge oil filter located at hahaha...

·
Registered
45 Posts
.5? Yeah, it's probably going to be just fine, to be honest. These are pretty decently sized engines. If you check the oil level and it is way over the full line, then yeah, I might be worried. If you are a tiny bit over full, I'm not going to worry about it.

·
Registered
2012 ML350 4Matic
297 Posts
My factory dealer always puts more oil than needed during scheduled oil change (over the max line on the dipstick when I check it). Is this the proper way to do it or the tech could care less as long as it fills up?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
oo wow a factory dealer? hmm.. i would understand if its a second hand shop like jiffy lube or a car wash place like here in new jersey... but if its a factory place then i guess it should be alright because they should be professional trained... for specific vehicles like benz, audi and such... but in reality... you never know until your car tells you that its having trouble... no one can be perfect i guess.. it just really sucks once you get to that point of frustration when your engine says "hey, check me"...... it really does suck

1 - 10 of 10 Posts