Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
SLK 350
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has any driven an SLK 350 with and without it and if so what was your opinion? I use my car mainly for commuting through the week, but enjoy more spirited driving whenever possible. :)

·
Registered
SLK 350
2,327 Posts
Since all R-171 SLK's in the U.S. have Parameter steering, your answer will have to come from somewhere other than here.

·
Registered
2006 SLK 350 Diamond Silver
59 Posts
Duo-Art said:
Since all R-171 SLK's in the U.S. have Parameter steering, your answer will have to come from somewhere other than here.
Thought that was only true for R171s with the Premium package for '06. I don't have the Premium package, so I don't think I have the Parameter steering.

Was always curious about it though. So how is it?

·
Registered
2005 slk 350
468 Posts
When I bought my car in '04, it was an '05, parameter steering was bundled in the premium package. It is one of the main reasons I got the premium package. I never drove an SLK without it, but with it it does make the car turn very easily at low speeds. When I first got the car, it almost felt like it was too easy. It makes the steering feel very light at low speeds. My previous BMW had speed sensitive steering and to be honest I thought it was better. Less noticeable. However, I am glad the car has it as I was afraid the car steering might be heavy at low speeds and I have a tight turn into my garage.

·
Registered
SLK 350
2,327 Posts
When I ordered my 2005 in April 2004, the parameter steering was part of the premium package. As I remember it, during late summer of 2004, M/B removed it from the premium package and made it standard on all US cars.

·
Registered
06 SLK 280, on order 09 SLK 350
209 Posts
slk_sid said:
Thought that was only true for R171s with the Premium package for '06. I don't have the Premium package, so I don't think I have the Parameter steering.

Was always curious about it though. So how is it?
I think it's great, I have an 06 SLK 280 without the premium package and it has the 'speed sensitive steering' or parameter steering as it's called in europe. For 2006 models, its part of the comfort package that includes memory seats, auto-dimming mirrors, etc.

·
Registered
2006 SLK 350
1,614 Posts
I hadn't heard the term "parameter steering" before. Just checked out the '06 brochure, however, and the SLK has a feature called "vehicle-speed-sensitive power-assisted steering" that's part of the COMFORT package. Sounds like the same animal.

·
Registered
SLK 350
2,327 Posts
Interesting. On the M/B official site's build your own section, the parameter or speed sensitive steering is not listed as part of the comfort package nor the premium package. I'd be interested to hear if anyone in the USA has a car without this feature.

·
Registered
2006 SLK 350
919 Posts
Duo. You are correct about it not being optional on MY06... I posted my order details at http://www.billsden.org/mercedes/slk/mine/order/. If you squint, you'll see "variable-speed steering" listed at the bottom of the Comfort/Convenience section (standard features). Not sure if this holds true for 280's, though a quick peek at the build-your-own page suggests it's not optional there either. So, maybe your only bet to find someone in the U.S. without it is a MY05 that didn't have the premium package?

·
Registered
SLK 230 & SLK350 and Jaguar XF PL
568 Posts
Mine does not have speed sensitive steering and up to just recently I thought the steering was just about right until I test drove the CLS and after returning to my car it felt very heavy, if I had the chance to get it again I would.

gary

·
Registered
2005 SLK55
664 Posts

·
Registered
06 SLK 280, on order 09 SLK 350
209 Posts
I just checked the window sticker for my 06 SLK 280 and Speed-sensitive Variable Assist Power Steering is a standard feature and not part of the Comfort Package that the sales brochure says it is. So all 06 USA models should have it.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Can this be retrofitted if you want do you know? I'm not getting it on my car 'cos I don't really think I'll need it..

But if I changed my mind at some point, could I have it added?

·
Registered
SLK 350
2,327 Posts
My understanding is that it can be added but the cost is very high. If you have thoughts that you will want it, order it now.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Cheers... Having had a think, I'll stay without it :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts