Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I received the 2 Volume Chassis and Body Manuals I bought on eBay.
I guess I am a Luddite; I think it is so much nicer to thumb through a paper manual than to navigate that wretched CD.
The only surprise is that the quality of the photos remains poor. I had hoped the problem was due to scanning them for the CD.

·
Premium Member
3,185 Posts
Sometimes the old fashioned way is just easier. Easier to have the page open and look at it instead of using your greasy fingers on your keyboard. I have the CDs and the books and use the books all the time. Usually after looking at the book I decide to let my indie fix whatever anyhow.

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
29,089 Posts
I guess I am a Luddite; I think it is so much nicer to thumb through a paper manual than to navigate that wretched CD.
The only surprise is that the quality of the photos remains poor. I had hoped the problem was due to scanning them for the CD.
You'd think that a country, apparently, filled with engineers, could have a clear photo in their pricey manuals. Even Chiltons/Haynes has them beat there.
And to think I bought the CD at MB for an ass reaming and never use it.

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
I like paper manuals because then you can see your progress by how greasy the pagers are. I hate having to fire up a computer with greasy and bleeding hands to see exactly how does this go back together. I really like paper manuals, maybe one of these days I'll break down and buy one. Too bad to hear the photos aren't that great. If they are printed in Germany Nobby is correct, the germans invented the printing press. Ever heard of the heidelberg print press, I guess the germans are into that. Good luck!

·
Registered
6,146 Posts
I agree 100% in preferring the paper manuals & have managed to find a cheap engine manual, but I guess YOU BOUGHT MY CHASSIS & BODY MANUALS. ;)

Oh well, I'll get them one day or break down and, as was suggested, just print the pdf files off the disk.

·
Premium Member
2,440 Posts
You could always print out the section on what job you're going to do and take that out to the garage. That way you don't have to waste space for all the extra pages that only apply to vehicles you don't have. :rolleyes: :D

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I agree 100% in preferring the paper manuals & have managed to find a cheap engine manual, but I guess YOU BOUGHT MY CHASSIS & BODY MANUALS. ;)
Well at $75 they weren't particularly cheap, but I'm happy to get them.
Now I'm on the hunt for a reasonable engine manual.

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
75$ sounds like a decent price to me. It might save you 75$ worth of skin grafts quickly!

·
Registered
4,012 Posts
I have the Chassis 1 and 2, and the 116 engine, and the CD. The CD only hits the high points, there is much more information in the paper manuals.

It would be great if MB would re-do these on DVD (holds maybe 15x the data), with higher resolution, and include all the paper manual's pages. If it were legal, I'd do it.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Right you are dugald! You snooze you loose. Hope I did not "snake" anyone, but the ratty manuals were worth the "buy it now" price for me, so I jumped! They will look worse with all my greasy fingerprints anyway - soon. Thanks for the heads up, and if it makes anyone feel any better, I had on my list to do an e-bay search for those tonight anyway, so it saved me a few hours at best. I would have done the BIN.

Mike

1 - 20 of 52 Posts