Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,<br> <br> I'm wondering if the Panorama roof has variable tinting, via photo electrics (?) or other means. Does anybody know anything about it?<br> <br> Regards, Lawrence.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
i haven't seen any mention of anything like that in any of the literature (official or otherwise) that i've seen.<br> <br> i think the consensus is that the panorama roof, while popular in the R129, will not be a big seller in the R230 since you're 16 seconds away from complete top-down at any given point in time. in the R129 if you had the hardtop on you HAD THE HARDTOP ON and there just wasn't no way 'round that without a winch or a couple guys to help you :)<br> <br> no clue. i'd bet you money though that it'll have nothing like photo-electrics. i assume it'll have a shade like the R129 one did, and that's it.<br> <br> doody.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Still debating about whether to add the Panoramic Roof. Had decided against it until I saw the price today as less than half what is was for the old model.<br> <br> Anyone who has lived with the panoramic roof have any input? Assume there are some trade offs (less insulation, more noise) but since I live in an area where we have sunny convertible days only once in a blue moon, perhaps the see through roof makes more sense here in a northern clime than it would in the sunbelt?

·
Registered
6 Posts
"press a button in the cabin to vary the degree of tinting on the roof"
Don't know the tech, but would love to find out.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The detroit news

Wednesday, February 11, 2004

Consumer's Eye

'Smart' glass is frameless, tints itself

It's used on concepts and production cars such as PT Cruiser

By Anita Lienert / The Detroit News

Automotive glass is getting “smarter,� thanks to companies such as DaimlerChrysler AG.

The Mercedes-Benz Vision GST concept, a six-seater that looks like a futuristic station wagon, has a panoramic glass roof with an unusual feature. Occupants can press a button in the cabin to vary the degree of tinting on the roof, depending on the intensity of the sunlight. That’s an excellent idea that ought to make the manual shades on most sunroofs obsolete.

Of course, concept cars are dream cars. But some “smart glass� also is showing up on production vehicles.

The 2005 Chrysler PT Cruiser convertible uses a smart glass system that is a variation of the one used on more ...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
http://www.detnews.com/2004/autosconsumer/0402/11/g03-60710.htm

·
Registered
6 Posts
My recommendation is not to get the Panoramic roof. I never use it. Why? Daytime I keep the shade drawn and at night, if I pull back the shade, all I see in the glass roof is reflection from my console. A waste of money to me. [:(]

·
Registered
6 Posts
from what I gather, the new gst doesn't have blinds, it uses an as yet undisclosed technology to "dim" the roof, a variable tinting tech.

·
Registered
2004 SL500
31 Posts
I got the panorama roof on my 04 SL 500. It's silver and I think the black roof actually looks better than the silver, non-panoramic roof. It continues the black trim from the rear window. I have seen the standard silver roof and am not a big fan of it. I think the only car that panorama roof makes no difference is the black SL's. It's all black, can't tell if it's a panorama roof or not anyway. When driving, I usually have the shade open because I like the sun. The tint is dark enough that it doesn't mask the instruments like when the whole top is down. Ever get the glare from the sun shining from your 6 o'clock position and try to read the information gauges under the speedometer and the tachometer? Can't see a thing. With the pano roof, it's still relatively cool with enough sun to feel like the roof is down without it actually being down. I love my pano roof! :) [:)]

·
Registered
2004 SL500
31 Posts
Forgot to mention, it has no variable tinting or photoelectric effects. I wish it did. I thought about tinting it but my customizer did not recommend it. Too dark!

·
Registered
W212 E63, Dark Ash, Distronic plus
49 Posts
Agree with this. I was sceptical initially, and with my first SL did not order it. Now, I am about to take delivery of my 2004 with the roof option. I would recommend this option.

·
Registered
R129SL
28 Posts
This feature is standard with the Maybach sedan sunroof. Most likely it will eventually trickle down to the R230SL as an option.

Just like the new facelift on the 2005 SLK; it will lake the front fascia cues from the McLarens SLR Model, and from what I’ve hear thought the grape-vine will be incorporated in the 2006 model year of the R230 SL

·
Registered
2007 ML63 AMG / 2008 SL550 Sport
112 Posts
WOW! This is an old thread! It's like scribbling on the declaration of independance! I think we can now finally lay this question to rest...NO, there will be no magic electric piezo glass on the R230 roof.

But Yes, I too love the pano roof.

There... now I've posted on a six year old thread.

6 years and all it got was 12 posts?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Yes to PANO

Here I go, belaboring a 6-year-old thread, but I wouldn't have an SL wothout a PANO roof. I live in Connecticut and the summer -- and WARM -- days are not as plentiful as down South. It also adds light into the car on rainy days. I have amn 05, desert silver amnd the PANO really compliments the car IMHO. Anyone care to keep this 6-ear old thread going even more???

·
Registered
2006 SL55 AMG
20 Posts
Markinct:

Old thread is right! I accidentally just came across it.

I have a Pano Roof on my Black 2006 SL55 AMG and it's really terrific. Can't notice it from the outside and makes the interior feel much more spacious during the day. I never feel the need to close the "curtain", summer or winter, night or day.

Just my $.02

Ed

·
Registered
SL500
99 Posts
I drove both over the weekend (with and without the pano). No comparison. W/O the pano, the car felt constricted and rather blase......

·
Registered
'11 E63 AMG,'05 SL55 AMG, '05 CLK500 Cab (sold) '02 E55 AMG (Sold)
128 Posts
The Pano roof really is a must have. It took me a while to find an SL55 with it, I would not own the car without it and I live in Florida.

·
Registered
2006 SL500/2006 Porsche Cayenne S Titanium
55 Posts
Yup, this is an old thread but perhaps someone will read this and respond. I have an 06 SL without the pano roof and am trying to find one on the used market. The dealer wants over $15k. Ridiculous price when it's only a couple grand new as an option.

Before you ask why I didn't hold out for a car with it, I couldn't pass up the deal on a 06 SL w/8XXX miles on it.

So if anyone knows of one available, it would be appreciated. I've contacted Potomac German and they said they don't see them very often. Please keep your eyes peeled. Thanks a million...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts