Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
'97 S500 w/ Nappa "Leather Exclusive"
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All ~

I’m considering having a “paintless dent repair” job done on my fav black sedan, to remove some old door dings (from original owner, of course ;-) They will have to access both a front and a rear door.

Has anyone had some experience with this kind of technique? I’m wondering if this undertaking is both as straightforward, and successful, as the advertising would lead one to believe; especially on a W140. I certainly don’t want to create a bigger problem than the simple aesthetic one I’m trying to solve-!

Thanks
Unshaven

·
Registered
185 Posts
Well..
it all depends... theres a lot of good shops that do a lot of good work, but make sure that you read the fine print just in case that there is a small catch where if they damage the paint they will pay for the respray of the part and your not stuck dentless, but now instead you have a chunk of paint that has been ripped off the door.

·
Registered
2007 ML 350 Iridium Silver/ Ash (Sold)
568 Posts
Go For It!
I have used the "dent guys" a few times on both my ML and E class.
No Problems at all, looks brand new.
Every MBZ dealer in my area has this service.
You should be very happy with the result.

Attachments

·
Banned
99 Merc S420 (80k Mi) 07 Lexus LS460 (21k Miles)
4,583 Posts
Could you please tell me that you don't have a carriage top 'presidental' roof on your S500?

·
Registered
1993 300SEL (Sold) 2007 X5
7,218 Posts
Could you please tell me that you don't have a carriage top 'presidental' roof on your S500?
Because it was never offered for those PE W140's. There were a special option in Canada before you say there is no such thing. Much like the GE in the US or the early designo ones in other markets.

·
Registered
1997 Mercedes 600 Coupe & 1995 500 Coupe, 2004 Yamaha R1 200hp 360 pounds
1,146 Posts
I also used the dent pro guys to get some dings out of my 600 when I got her. The work is flawless. They drill a tiny hole in the doorwell (and seal it air tight after they are done) and have this unique tool to pull them right out without scratching anything. Its WAY better then a bodyshop using bondo and paint. They also had this "mirror" tool that they used to "scan" the whole car and they saw little dings I couldnt even see with my own eye until they scanned the body of the car in front of me. The prices are very reasonable instead of bond and paint...

·
Registered
185 Posts
I've been told dry-ice can be used...I'm not too sure how though...
Thermal dynamics...
heat expands, cold contracts

i seen the guys at the body shop pop dents by heating the spot on the hood up with a torch and dumping cold water on it... voila... no more dent ;)

also..
on the subject of dry ice...
a lil bit more juvenile idea...
but its nice to put some dry ice in a 2 litre bottle a bit of water squeze it a bit before you put a cap on it and trow it as far as you can.
then listen for the pop...

LOL
damm ..
i gotta stop watching Mythbusters
LOL

·
Registered
1993 300SEL (Sold) 2007 X5
7,218 Posts
Thermal dynamics...
heat expands, cold contracts

i seen the guys at the body shop pop dents by heating the spot on the hood up with a torch and dumping cold water on it... voila... no more dent ;)

also..
on the subject of dry ice...
a lil bit more juvenile idea...
but its nice to put some dry ice in a 2 litre bottle a bit of water squeze it a bit before you put a cap on it and trow it as far as you can.
then listen for the pop...

LOL
damm ..
i gotta stop watching Mythbusters
LOL
I thought that might have been something like that, my main concern would be the paint job though but I guess if it can move with the dent it can move back out with teh dent and not get damaged.

·
Registered
Current 1992 - 500SEL, W124 - 1989 230E (sold)
1,387 Posts
IF you are going to try heat/cold idea just use hair dryer or heat gun on quite low level....but doesnt always work especialy if its deep dent.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Update

Thanks for the replies, guys. What I’ve learned about the paintless dent removal tool is, our double-paned glass is susceptible to potential breakage when accessing the door’s interior through where the window does it’s ingress/ egress. That said, vvee12 nailed it when he wrote that a tiny hole needs to be drilled to access the dings.

Now, before I give the go-ahead to drilling - which I’m not particularly delighted about - I’m wondering if there is a hole behind the safety reflectors that you see on the front doors (when the door is opened), or if they are just glued/ taped on, rather than clipped?

For the rear door, I’m imaging that access can be attained by going through the electrical opening, where one sees the electrical pleated rubber boot/ sheath? Are there any challenges to watch out for going this route--fragile clips, etc.?

On last thing, does anyone have a picture of a W140 door stripped of it’s interior door panel, so I can see where the side-impact I-beam is exactly located?

I haven’t yet met anyone here that’s doing any temperature stuff for the door dimples…

Cheers-!

W/ appreciation,
Unshaven

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Mission Accomplished-!

Gents ~

The “Paintless Dent Removal” was done 100% to my satisfaction (obligatory caveat: your results may vary). As of today, nary a ding nor a dimple on da Daimler-!!!

As it turns out, the best solution for the W140 is to put the dent removal tool through the door’s reflector hole (see pix below). This applies to all four doors. Be careful not to break the plastic clips on the reflector(s) when removing/ re-inserting. The side-impact I-beam, in my case, was never an issue.

The good news here is, potential breakage of the double-paned glass was not a consideration when going through the reflector hole and, NO invasive drilling was required--that was a biggie for me.

So feel free to remove your dents, dudes (y’all know who you are)--the price for my sedan was very reasonable. Highly recommended.

L8r /
Unshaven

Attachments

·
Registered
93 500 sel - 95 s500
612 Posts
THANKYOU X 1000! UnShaven where abouts are you in Canada?
someone took the leap and now we all can do it!
i have dings in both my w140's from one another as my driveway is a tight fit at times!

this made my day, thankyou again!

·
Registered
185 Posts
Gents ~

The “Paintless Dent Removal” was done 100% to my satisfaction (obligatory caveat: your results may vary). As of today, nary a ding nor a dimple on da Daimler-!!!

As it turns out, the best solution for the W140 is to put the dent removal tool through the door’s reflector hole (see pix below). This applies to all four doors. Be careful not to break the plastic clips on the reflector(s) when removing/ re-inserting. The side-impact I-beam, in my case, was never an issue.

The good news here is, potential breakage of the double-paned glass was not a consideration when going through the reflector hole and, NO invasive drilling was required--that was a biggie for me.

So feel free to remove your dents, dudes (y’all know who you are)--the price for my sedan was very reasonable. Highly recommended.

L8r /
Unshaven
nver mind the process...
is that a golf club ?? :eek:

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
THANKYOU X 1000! UnShaven where abouts are you in Canada?

You’re welcome, kevinpuri--I’m pleased the thread was helpful. We’re just out of Vancouver, on an “Isle-on-the-Pacific.”

Good luck with your door ding removal; you truly won’t believe your eyes. This North Vancouver company had an ad banner here on the W140 Forum just a few days ago:

Dent Impressions

Happy Trails/
Unshaven

1 - 17 of 17 Posts