Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1980 450SLC
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

A local on Ebay was selling a couple of 14" wheels from a 500SEL that had supposedly been used only a couple of months. I bought them for around $150 for the pair (with barely used MXV Michelin's on them) to replace the dust damaged front wheels on my 1980 450SLC.

Anyway, I know dust damage is a recurring problem. I wonder if putting an extra clear coat on the wheels would help? Any recommendations as to paint/lacquer? They are basically mint now and I'd like to keep them in good shape.

Thanks, Jeff

·
W203, W210 Moderator
E55 ///AMG
6,911 Posts
Jeff K said:
Hi All,

A local on Ebay was selling a couple of 14" wheels from a 500SEL that had supposedly been used only a couple of months. I bought them for around $150 for the pair (with barely used MXV Michelin's on them) to replace the dust damaged front wheels on my 1980 450SLC.

Anyway, I know dust damage is a recurring problem. I wonder if putting an extra clear coat on the wheels would help? Any recommendations as to paint/lacquer? They are basically mint now and I'd like to keep them in good shape.

Thanks, Jeff
I know exactly what you mean, those brake dust are evil lol, well you could apply another spray of clear coat but I don't think the clear coat going to last it will eventually peel off ( trust me ) thats what happened on my prevoius rims that has been repolished & repainted professionally. well for me I did try to maintain it by washing regularly ( 3 times a wk. ) including the inside & try to do the other side of the rims/tires as much as I can. For me I think thats the best way to get rid of those brake dust on the wheels, plenty of soap & water each time you wash your car. Me too I'd like to keep them in mint & good cond. thats why I'm doing this extra effort for my new ones.

Regards,
Joseph

·
Registered
560SL,380SL,E350
4,202 Posts
That brake dust is evil, but I managed to keep my home-painted and clearcoated (with genuine Wal-Mart paint, yet) wheels looking good for two years by religiously washing with nothing other than water and liquid detergent. Admittedly, I rarely drive in rain and never in snow. I'm just as careful now that I have chromed rims.

I think that if you really,really want something durable, powder-coat is the only way to go. I'm pretty sure that the aluminum rims on my now almost 10-year old Taurus were powder coated. I really don't take care of them, and I'm amazed at how good they still look after a thorough cleaning. The brake dust on that car turns the holes black in two weeks, and they stay that way for weeks at a time after that.

BTW, I'm seriously considering getting a powder-coating setup together for my spare set of wheels. Given present costs of shipping, it would actually be cheaper for me to buy an oven, a gun and the materials than paying to get them done with two-way shipping on all five wheels to get them powdercoated.

·
W203, W210 Moderator
E55 ///AMG
6,911 Posts
strife2 said:
BTW, I'm seriously considering getting a powder-coating setup together for my spare set of wheels. Given present costs of shipping, it would actually be cheaper for me to buy an oven, a gun and the materials than paying to get them done with two-way shipping on all five wheels to get them powdercoated.
LOL...one expensive part also is the process, if you really want the powder-coating to last it has to be bead-blasted before putting on the coating.

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
83 280 SL- 5 speed-The PIG
31,801 Posts
I use those pie plate shields that fit on the inside of the front rims. I think they are called "Kleen Wheels". Keeps 98% of the brake dust off your rims.
And, no, your brakes won't overheat .

·
Always Remembered RIP
1973 450 SLC AMG, 1995 Chevy Tahoe
3,381 Posts
you could try

you could try www.adsitco.com ... Kleen wheel dust shields... 39.00 a pair
they go behind the wheels .

·
Premium Member
2002 CLK 430 Convt. '91 420 SEL, '80 240D, '93 190E Sportline,
1,569 Posts
http://www.tirerack.com/accessories/americanracing/wheel_wax.jsp

I have used brake dust shields - they're "ok". But they look a little tacky and accumulate tons of dust on the inside of the wheel. The above Wheel Wax from the Tire Rack is excellent. You apply it all over the wheel, especialy the inside, and it actually "repels" dust. When you rinse or wash the wheel, the dust comes off easily. And, it only costs $11.95!

Attachments

·
Registered
1978 280slc
3,203 Posts
use brake cleaner to remove the brake dust, and forget that armorall stuff, it is toxic and will etch the wheels. It really is nasty, take my word.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts