Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2005 350SLK
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it just me or do those thingies look like two huge watermelons sticking out from under the rear bumper? When I had my Audi S4, a guy posted a picture on a forum of his car with his mufflers painted black, what a great idea, it certainly helps hide the size of the mufflers for a much cleaner look.

Has anyone painted their mufflers black to take away the ugliness that protrudes from under the rear bumper? If so, what kind of paint, and did you have to take them off your car?

Thanks.

·
Registered
SLK350 (apr 15)
673 Posts
There are some high-temperature paints used for painting exhaust manifolds and such. Might work.

I'd think that it would be easier to do a good job if you took the mufflers off. They probably wouldn't leak after you put them back ...

Me, I'm never back there, so I don't much care how it looks. Maybe I'll start worrying more about it now though ...

·
Registered
2005 350SLK
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is it easy to remove the mufflers? Or do you have to go to a "pro" to have this done for you? The job is so easy it is not worth going to the shop to get it done; however, I doubt that it would be easy to get under the car [:(]

·
Registered
42 Posts
Just mask the parts you want painted (presumably the bottom half), and use black brake caliper paint.

·
Registered
05-SLK 350
35 Posts
Do you mean the chrome exhaust tips or the metal exhaust inside the tips ????
i think the exhaust looks nice the way it is [8D]

·
Registered
2005 350SLK
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was referring to the muffler/exhaust drum behind the tips, these dangle from under the bumper [:D]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts