Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
Mercedes 190E w201
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello,

I have a high temperature resistant black spray can, and I was thinking of using it to refresh the engine cover and manifold since it's getting fuglier as time goes by.
Feasible or will it present any dangers/ consequences in the future?

Attachments

·
Registered
2000 :W220 - 1986 W201: 16v Nam,16v Euro- 2002:SL500 Silver Arrow.2002:Avalanche-
2,236 Posts
Not thing will happen but great and clean looking engine after all .
Prep work is important other wise it's not going to last , no primer needed but what I was used as primer was hi temp Wood stove flat paint for first two coats ,light sanding in between and two last coats of Hi temp engine paint) Let dry for 24 hrs prior running engine .Good luck

·
W201 Moderator
89 190E2.6- 5-speed Manual, 95 E320 Sportsline-sold, 2001 E320 4matic Wagon-sold
2,618 Posts
The only advice I would give is, do not sandblast the old paint away. Magnesium is softer than aluminum and parts of the cover are super thin. You will blow right thru it.

And I lied, the second advice would be to have it powder coated (both sides) by a professional powder coating company (do not let them clean it, that should be you). The powder coat will cost you $80 but will last a lifetime.

Apparently oil does penetrate magnesium slowly, so if you do not coat the inside with something it will start flaking off on the outside. This is what I was told.

Good luck with the project!

·
W201 Moderator
89 190E2.6- 5-speed Manual, 95 E320 Sportsline-sold, 2001 E320 4matic Wagon-sold
2,618 Posts
Valve cover. You can paint the air filter cover, that is harmless.

·
Registered
Mercedes-Benz
1,233 Posts
I painted the valve cover and exhaust manifolds on the '86 2.3 I owned for a while. Duplicolor semi-gloss black Engine Enamel is a very nice finish OE style finish. VHT was used on the exh. Not sure if Duplicolor products are available in France, but they're decent, cheap, and available at local auto parts stores in US. I've always had good results.

·
Registered
Mercedes 190E w201
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I painted the valve cover and exhaust manifolds on the '86 2.3 I owned for a while. Duplicolor semi-gloss black Engine Enamel is a very nice finish OE style finish. VHT was used on the exh. Not sure if Duplicolor products are available in France, but they're decent, cheap, and available at local auto parts stores in US. I've always had good results.

That's what I want, the engine bay immediatly looks way better without that rusting exhaust manifold and paint cracked valve cover.
There is duplicolor here yes, I'm gonna give a look, remaining OEM-looking is the goal here.
Thanks

·
Registered
89 190E 2.6 x2
1,440 Posts
I just painted my valve cover as well last month. Just like Pn187 I used duplicolor high temp engine paint. I also tried to paint the fins silver to give it some contrast, but didn’t quite get my tape lines perfect. Headers are also painted with VHT exhaust paint.
Pelicanparts has a great tutorial

·
W201 Moderator
2,618 Posts
Looking good 355! I have read someplace that one way of getting the star/stripes look professional is to actually sand off the black paint afterwords to expose the natural silver magnesium color. A block sander should work well there.

Anybody discovered an exhaust manifold paint that looks OEM? They always look painted over, whereas OEM finish "looks" infused. From that photo yours look pretty close to OEM 355 but it is hard to tell.

·
Registered
89 190E 2.6 x2
1,440 Posts
Thanks Dolucasi! I actually did sand off the strips, but the silver magnesium turned out to be more of a dull gray-ish color. Had some leftover high temp silver, so I decided to paint it.
The exhaust paint I use is VHT Flameproof high temp silver. I painted them close to 10 yrs ago and they've held up well.

·
Registered
Mercedes-Benz
1,233 Posts
Looking good 355! I have read someplace that one way of getting the star/stripes look professional is to actually sand off the black paint afterwords to expose the natural silver magnesium color. A block sander should work well there.

Anybody discovered an exhaust manifold paint that looks OEM? They always look painted over, whereas OEM finish "looks" infused. From that photo yours look pretty close to OEM 355 but it is hard to tell.
I did this on the 2.6 valve cover. Painted black, then used a flap wheel on a Dremel to sand off the lines, then cleared over top.

Exhaust manifolds are slightly bluish white from factory. White exhaust paint is available, not sure how close of a match it is.

·
W201 Moderator
2,618 Posts
That Brabus one looks very close PN187. I would like to try something as an experiment on my original manifold with very little rust. Currently my installed one is rust free from a 1990 with the EGR hole plugged.

·
Registered
89 190E 2.6 x2
1,440 Posts
My buddy did his 2.6 with white headers. He used VHT high temp white. I think it turned out pretty nice!

·
W201 Moderator
2,618 Posts
Yeah, I think a matte finish like that looks closer to OE. Anything shiny looks like painted on.
That looks good, although the original has a bit more gray in it. I'll post the original so we can compare and contrast.
Was that photo taken outdoors?

·
Registered
89 190E 2.6 x2
1,440 Posts
Yes that was an outdoor picture in the shade. If you look closely, you'll notice he also shaved all the ridges and markings off to make it look more clean.
I've got a pic somewhere from 2003 of my car w/ the original gray headers in perfect condition.

·
Registered
Mercedes-Benz
1,233 Posts
Since we're on the subject, I'll admit to this failure I had today. A couple days ago I prepped and painted this set of spare manifolds.

One of the damn EGR studs stripped some threads on the way out, but I thought I could get it to hold with new studs. Well, no. Fucker still had a slight leak, so I'm back to square one. I have an idea of how to get close to the factory finish.

AFAIK this is a period Daimler AG photo.

·
Registered
89 190E 2.6 x2
1,440 Posts
Broken studs are a PITA! Time to break out the EZ-out tool.
R.E. factory finish: I'll try to remember to take a pic from my 1989 190E booklet, but their factory header finish was more of a metallic silver.

·
W201 Moderator
2,618 Posts
Here is mine (well actually a junkyard find of a well kept engine at 118K miles).
It is the original paint color, though it is starting to discolor and I would like to paint my original instead to a similar coating and get rid of the capping of the EGR port.

·
Registered
Mercedes 190E w201
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Here is mine (well actually a junkyard find of a well kept engine at 118K miles).
It is the original paint color, though it is starting to discolor and I would like to paint my original instead to a similar coating and get rid of the capping of the EGR port. View attachment 2620048
Yours is strangely in a good condition. Mine has 86k miles and even tho it was well kept by the previous owner, it still got surface rust on the exhaust manifold. And i've seen ALOT of other 190 E's on the internet with the same thing, might be a factory issue.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts