Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1973 Unimog 404
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As soon as I get all the mechanical's taken care on my Mog (2-3 months), the next thing is to make her look all pretty before I beat the shit our of it on the trails.

Does anyone here have any experience repainting a Unimog 404? I'll more than likely be getting the paint myself and doing the body work, then taking it to a pro to properly paint.

Questions:
-Sources and cost of paint?
-Paint alternatives? (I've heard of people using heavy duty garbage dumpster paint, etc.)
-Cost of painting?

·
Registered
mogless, except for my friends MB4-94. And a bunch of other diesel junk.
2,512 Posts
If you're going to beat on it, get a single stage enamel. If you're adventurous, you can get pretty good results yourself. I've painted a few trucks with my old binks gun, and they have all turned out well. The neighbors were a bit peeved though. Cost dependes on color, red and yellow are some of the most spendy. I recently paid around $120 for a gallon of red single stage Omni AU, 1 quart of reducer, and a quart of the fast hardener. The fast hardener is a bit harder to work with, but it gets the paint to gel quickly, not so much dust stuck later on. SD

·
Registered
560SEL 560SEC E320 Cab. MB Metris Van ML 320 ML320CDI/gone 300TD 300TE 300SDL, 300D, Unimog 406
2,466 Posts
I'm coating my 406 fenders with bedliner coating. There have been a couple of posts regarding chassis paint but I couldn't find them for you. Maybe they were on Mog Mailing List. Hmmmmmm.

Also see the topic that came up a couple weeks ago on this board (with link to RMM color codes.:

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=1254753&posts=3&fid=35

1 - 3 of 3 Posts