Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1988 560SL
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a quote from a recommended auto body repair shop in Paramus NJ of $1,000.00 to repaint one side of the car (rear panel and door); there is very minor body work being done also. I know that prices vary depending on location... but does this sound like a fair price? Also, I am a bit worried that by only doing the rear panel and door, that the front panel may not match up exactly and be noticable. Should I just go ahead and get a quote for the entire side? And hell -- if I'm doing one entire side, should I just bite the buleet and do the entire car (I assume the price would be at least 5X more or better). If any of you live in Bergen County area of North Jersey -- and you know of a place that does quailty paint work -- I would like to get a second quote. Thx!

·
Registered
1979 280SL, 1984 280SL
5,654 Posts
Partial paint will never match "perfectly" but it could be acceptable. A lot depends on the color of your car, how much it has faded, the skillfullness of your painter and exactly where on the car the work will be blended, or stopped along an existing body line. If it is indeed a reputable shop, go with their recommendation.

·
Premium Member
2010 Mercury Milan Hybrid, 1993 BMW 325i convertible
6,077 Posts
If your paint is metallic flake, I wouldn't get just one or two panels sprayed, I'd do the whole car. The metallic flakes in the paint won't be laying the same orientation as the old paint, and it will show. If you have a solid color, make sure the body shop is going to color match your paint, not just get a batch mixed of the stated color code. The pigments in paint change over time, so a batch of paint to the color code won't match, it'll either be slightly off or radically off, depending on the condition of your paint. If they color match your car with a solid color, you should be fine.

·
Registered
1988 560SL
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
car color

Well ... the current color is smoke silver ... metallic. I would say that aside from the areas on the right rear and right door, the rest of the paint has a nice shine and would gloss up well if polished and waxed...it seems a shame that I would have to re-do the entire car to match...but I understand the color match issues and if does not match, I will be really disappointed. I'm guessing the difference is going to be $1,000 to do the 2 panels vs something like $7,000 for the entire car.

·
Registered
' 91 350sel, '12 s350, '18 144 sprinter, '08 sl550
328 Posts
beifus motors in s orange did the 99 e300, turned out great match, but on a 9 year old car.

perhaps a 20 plus years is another match challange.

·
Registered
1979 280SL, 1984 280SL
5,654 Posts
If you're not looking for a show car, a good painter could match what you have sufficiently to not be obvious. The dif. between 1k and 7k is huge- Get the damage fixed by a good shop and enjoy the car. You're not looking for a museum piece. Don't spend so much that you can't enjoy it.

·
Registered
1988 Mercedes 560SL
40 Posts
Agreed- I had the passenger door,hard top, and front quarter painted on my 88 560SL and cannot see the difference. The price also seems reasonable.

·
It Is What It Is, Dude
22,841 Posts
I got a quote from a recommended auto body repair shop in Paramus NJ of $1,000.00 to repaint one side of the car (rear panel and door); there is very minor body work being done also. I know that prices vary depending on location... but does this sound like a fair price? Also, I am a bit worried that by only doing the rear panel and door, that the front panel may not match up exactly and be noticable. Should I just go ahead and get a quote for the entire side? And hell -- if I'm doing one entire side, should I just bite the buleet and do the entire car (I assume the price would be at least 5X more or better). If any of you live in Bergen County area of North Jersey -- and you know of a place that does quailty paint work -- I would like to get a second quote. Thx!

If a complete respray is not in the budget that is the route I'd go. A good matched color sprayed to the body line would be all but unnoticeable to the untrained eye.

·
Outstanding Contributor
450slc5.0cab 280sl5sp 280se4.5 500se+500slAMG +250seStkW108 350sl4spdX3 500secEuro
22,554 Posts
$1000 sounds very reasonable to me. I'd worry most about quality, not the price (at that price). My understanding is that nothing can be painted for less than $500 (and I'm not too far away). Sometimes you can get a whole car for $500, but it seems you can never get a small job sprayed for less. I don't have a ton of experience with this, but I had a 1998 Honda Civic that kept getting hit by things, and I was at several paint shops for that car, and the 1991 Infiniti M30 Convertible for which it would apparently cost $1200 for a cheap paint job on the front bumper which was flaking terribly. (I got a $200 bra instead to sell the car for $2000.)

·
Registered
1988 560SL
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Paint first, then replace softtop? Or, replace softtop, then paint?

Went to another paint shop today...this guy quoted me a price $1500 to do the whole car! Very suspect at that price, given the other recommended shop quoted me $1,000 to do only 2 panels. But, I have another question...I have to replace my softtop as well...should I do this before I paint or after????? (I'm leaning towards having the pro do the small body work and paint the one side of the car for $1,000 -- his work looks pretty good!).

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
-----'83 280 SL----- 5 speed....The PIG
29,498 Posts
But, I have another question...I have to replace my softtop as well...should I do this before I paint or after?????
My philosophy is do all mechanical work, interior work and any other work BEFORE paint.
And wait for the kids to grow up....get the bikes out of the garage.......etc.

If you have the choice then wait and get the other work done first.

·
Outstanding Contributor
450slc5.0cab 280sl5sp 280se4.5 500se+500slAMG +250seStkW108 350sl4spdX3 500secEuro
22,554 Posts
My philosophy is do all mechanical work, interior work and any other work BEFORE paint.
And wait for the kids to grow up....get the bikes out of the garage.......etc.

If you have the choice then wait and get the other work done first.
I assume that his question is: If he's installing the top and getting painted in the same week, which should be first? Risk paint on soft-top? Risk glue on new paint? (I don't know the answer,
but would be curious to hear.)

I share your general philosophy, but might throw the interior items with the paint and soft top too since my kids jump all over the car.

Long term... Function (mechanical, electrical, waterproofing & rust proofing) first. Cosmetic second is surely a shared philosophy here. Right?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts