Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1968 280se, 1972 280se 4.5, Land Rover disco II, Triumph Thruxton, Triumph Tiger. +boring Chevy Van
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today was a slow day at work. So i decided to start prepping and priming my hubcaps for painting. My car is Two tone. Brown roof beige body. I want to match the caps to the roof
Here are a few pix from today.
I used aircraft stripper to remove the paint. Then lightly scuffed the surface with 320 before masking and etch priming, then filler primer. I'll pick up the paint tomorrow.
Cheers John.

Attachments

·
Outstanding Contributor
450slc5.0cab 280sl5sp 280se4.5 500se+500slAMG +250seStkW108 350sl4spdX3 500secEuro
22,821 Posts
Your patience is much greater than mine. I masked and painted one hubcap once... once.

I can't wait to see your final product. Be very careful removing the masking tape. It is possible that the paint will be stronger than it's bond to the hubcap and peel up with the tape. I think that there's an ideal drying time to remove the tape which may be before it totally cured. I don't really know though. I guess it looks like you hit them with primer first. So hopefully that helps a lot.

A semi-local guy bought some parts from me for his grandson's w115 and said he bought a stencil on ebay. He says he is going to lend it to me. I am going to try and buy it. It does not include the outer ring, but I will take what I can get. Until then, I keep an ebay search ready to go for reasonably priced tan hubcaps to complete the set for my w108. Only one more!

·
Registered
1968 280se, 1972 280se 4.5, Land Rover disco II, Triumph Thruxton, Triumph Tiger. +boring Chevy Van
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well i finished them up today and am very happy with the results.I did remove the masking tape after a few hours to avoid any lifting of the edges, I did use an etch primer as well as a filler primer. At first when i applied the top coat it looked way to red. but after three coats it deepened in color and looks really nice. Next up the roof:)
John.

Attachments

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The trick is to take your time masking. If you notice in the pictures, when I masked off I outlined the areas I wanted to cut with a sharp pencil. This did two things, it gave me better definition as to where to cut. My eyes are not what they use to be:) Also it pushed the masking tape down and made it stick right into the corners. I used a sharp utility blade. Make sure you use a good etch primer, then primer filler, then paint. I used a single stage acrylic enamel. Picked up a cheap hvlp gun from Harbor freight for the top coats.
John.

·
Registered
'55 W120 180, '11 W221 S550 4Matic
191 Posts
They turned out looking very good!

There's a tool for this that shows up on steal-bay once in a while.

Another approach I have seen is to use very thin tape around the edges - no cutting...

The trick is to take your time masking. If you notice in the pictures, when I masked off I outlined the areas I wanted to cut with a sharp pencil. This did two things, it gave me better definition as to where to cut. My eyes are not what they use to be:) Also it pushed the masking tape down and made it stick right into the corners. I used a sharp utility blade. Make sure you use a good etch primer, then primer filler, then paint. I used a single stage acrylic enamel. Picked up a cheap hvlp gun from Harbor freight for the top coats.
John.

·
Registered
1975 280s
59 Posts
John, thanks for the tips. My dad used to use that same process when he was painting airplanes. My big problem now is my car (75 280s) still has the original paint and after 40 years it's faded a bit but in great condition with no rust. I hope my hubcaps turn out as good as yours
Dale

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
John, thanks for the tips. My dad used to use that same process when he was painting airplanes. My big problem now is my car (75 280s) still has the original paint and after 40 years it's faded a bit but in great condition with no rust. I hope my hubcaps turn out as good as yours
Dale
Thanks Dale
Love to see some pictures when your done.
Cheers John.

·
Registered
93 320 CE, '55, 220a, '72, 280SE 3.5, '88 Mini Mayfair, '90 Peugeot 205GTI, .04 Mini Cooper
427 Posts
If you want to avoid all this ..... Liquid Mask from an art shop carefully applied can cut this process in half. Just saying! But btw beautiful result

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Liquid madk? What is that and how does it work?
Cheers John.

·
Registered
93 320 CE, '55, 220a, '72, 280SE 3.5, '88 Mini Mayfair, '90 Peugeot 205GTI, .04 Mini Cooper
427 Posts
You paint it on like glue and then it peels off like the bits left when using an eraser. Used a lot by people who airbrush. Need a steady hand though to put it on if you want to get your edges sharp.

Peels off all surfaces including paper!

·
Outstanding Contributor
450slc5.0cab 280sl5sp 280se4.5 500se+500slAMG +250seStkW108 350sl4spdX3 500secEuro
22,821 Posts
O well:) Maybe next time I will get one of those:)

I didn't know that was available.

Thanks John

I don't think they are available too often (edit: "on ebay" but I'm excited to see it seems you can get them anytime in this site. Awesome!).

I swapped a bunch of w115 parts for a stencil that a guy recently bought on ebay. It seems that recently these have been out there (edit: "on ebay"). Get one while you can! (Edit: "oh. Never mind"). I got one used.

After you do all the work, you will understand why these are worth the $65.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts