Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
I want to change mine from that goldish metallic color to red. I saw some caliper paint on one of the performance parts sites and I want to know if the whole caliper has to be removed or can it be masked and done? Is this one giant pain in the a$$?

G

·
Discussion Starter #2
I own a 2001 SLK 320, i know this is a CLK forum but i thnk i can help u alot. i bought a G2 caliper paint system and set out to do my calipers and turn em from silver to red. It was a pain in the ass, but omg worth it in the end, i spent about 4 hours, (most of it waiting each coat to dry, i used a fan to expedite the drying process) i did all four calipers, i jacked each wheel up with the jack that comes with the car to change a flat tyre, i masked the entire wheel well with paper and masked the brake pad, and brake fluid line, etc with painter's masking tape, it looks great now, i love it, worth the time i spent, few tips, make sure the surface u work on is smooth as the jack could slip, work indoors incase it rains, put on a few coats, use a fan to dry the coats, make sure u have a brake cleaner, cuase the calipers are very dirty, the G2 set that i bought came with it, here's a picture....please excuse the dirty wheel, i didn't get a chacne to clean it b4 i took the picutre, hope this helps, <br>
-------------------------------------------------<br>
2001 SLK 320 Brilliant Metallic Silver -- Mods/ Remus Catback Exhuast, Lorinser Rear Wing, Hella Stage 2 HID Conversion, SL R129 Grille, Red Calipers w/ cross drilled rotors, CC illuminated door sills -- Coming Soon - SL R230 Grille(chromed) and 7 inch Alpine DVD system.

G

·
Discussion Starter #4
I did the same....(more)

I used FoliaTech spray paint. Use two cans. One isn't enough. I suggest taking off the calipers and the retaining spring. I'd show you pics but my mom's got the digicam this week. Actually I wish I didn't do it. I suggest not using the brush-on kit. The finish just isn't as good imo. Mine came out very clean and professional but it's like putting a CLK55 AMG emblem on a 320...why imitate...i want the real brembos now.

G

·
Discussion Starter #6
here are the fronts

trust me dude..don't do it...it looks weak. I'm painting mine to black when i get some time but if you decide to do it don't paint the retaining spring (or whatever it's called) and don't paint the brake pads. It's a mercedes don't make it ghetto fabulous by screwing paint job.

G

·
Discussion Starter #7
FoliaTec - done it before on my Nissan - but wouldn't do the MB

It's a little involved - but not too bad. Much easier to apply with the caliper off the car. I did my Nissan when upgrading to bigger caliper / rotors with the FoliaTec (where you add in a hardener and brush on - they probably have the spray on like mentioned above now).<br> <br> Unfortunately after changing pads etc - you get chips. Still looks decent, cleans very easy, but not exactly the enamel / powder coat look. Better than you get from Home Depot though!<br> <br> shell<br> 01CLK55 - 13.7 @ 107

Attachments

G

·
Discussion Starter #8
Re: FoliaTec - done it before on my Nissan - but wouldn't do the MB

I would do it, its worth it , give ur car a really nice accent, well i thnk so until i get those Brembos, the spray paint look is too grainy, the paint shines better and looks more solid if done right

1 - 8 of 8 Posts