Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1990 300SE
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was pretty scared that I would hate the look, but I did it anyways because I had the day off and had nothing better to do (idle hands...). But I think it turned out great... now I gotta get those damn Euros (I'll order them next Thursday... payday).

Also, on a side note, I was wondering if anybody has any pictures of a lowered (inch or so) 126 with the OEM 15 hole rims. Thinking about lowering it first, then eventually getting new wheels when my business picks up.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
looks good man! I think this is one of the best mods you can do to a 126....but it varies aswell on the color of youre car.

[:)]

·
Registered
1988 300E '91 560SEL
137 Posts
Looks fantastic. I think will try that. How did you go about it? did you take all the chrome pieces off, or did you work really hard taping it?

·
Registered
03' C320 4Matic SS
670 Posts
what kinda of paint should i use?? and where can i buy it??? i want to do this also was wondering if black would look good with my color??? any ideas??

·
Registered
380SEC EURO
1,430 Posts
Wow, looks awesome! Great job. [:)]

G

·
0 Posts
Looks fantastic! Does anyone have any pics of a painted grille on a smoke silver, or silver, w126? Am thinking of doing mine, but not sure how it will look on the lighter color.

·
Registered
1991 300 SE
18,534 Posts
Looks great, Dan!

I always thought the blacked-out grill looked best on the light colored cars. I plan on painting the grill on my SE along with Euro lamps and with the head light wipers removed. I’ll have a paint shop paint the “holeless’ under the light panels Arctic white like the rest of the car.

·
Registered
420SEL
60 Posts
Can someone please explain how to take the chrome strips off?

Can you remove the grey backing and then paint it black and re-fit?

Do you mask the chrome parts with tape?

·
Registered
2006 E500, 2013 S550 and a retired 88 SDL
424 Posts
I recommend removing the plastic grill insert if you are going to paint. Take of three of the four screws/bolts securing the clips in place, remove the center screw at the bottom middle of the plastic grill and slip it out. 15 minutes tops.

It's an easy job and now you can paint without masking at all. When the insert is out you can slide the chrome strips off with pliers.

If the chrome is shot, pitted or acid etched and you are cheap, keep the center vane (the part that goes down) and replace the others with chrome door trim.

For 20 bucks you can get a brand new chrome kit.

I'd highly recommend a good hard clearcoat and plenty of time let the paint dry. Soft paint chips easily. I learned the hard way.

·
Registered
86 420 sel,
162 Posts
that loos great, [:D]
i did my sl grille on friday, looking forwar to do the sel grille next week some time. i have some "honeydo" list to contend with firts. [xx(]

·
Registered
89 560 SEC
335 Posts
I have done the same to my SEC grille. The reccommended paint is SEMS this has a flex agent already added to the paint. It is made to adhere to plastic components. An adhesion promoter can be applied before top coat and is recommended for the best bond. SEMS is available at most
auto paint supply houses. It can be purchased for use in a gun and is also available in an aerosol spray can. The paint has a semi gloss finish and is extremely durable.

·
Registered
1988 420SEL, for sale
317 Posts
That looks good, but the grill is in the shadows. Could you take a picture with the sun shining on the grill?

·
Registered
1984 280SEL AMG
701 Posts
My 280SEL is lowered, tho it doesn't have the 15 hole wheels. Use a pic of your wheels super imposed onto my car to get an idea.[8)] Tho I'd get the wheels before you lower it, even if you store them for a bit.

And good job on your grill[:D] Looks REAL COOL!!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts