Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2000 E430 Sport
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had the idea way before I saw axl's on MBWorld but he beat me to it :D. Amazing that we had the same idea and he's way over in Germany. Anyway, I had to take my Zam upgrade apart because the chrome shroud fell off inside the headlight :mad:. I figured I might as well see if I could paint them to match the car. Also used JB Weld on the shrouds! :thumbsup:

Before & After shots.

Attachments

·
Registered
E-350/2010 4-MATIC (E-320/2000 R.I.P.)
378 Posts
Okay maybe im slow...but did you paint them blue? and if so do you have a pic with them on the car?

·
Registered
2000 E430 Sport
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay maybe im slow...but did you paint them blue? and if so do you have a pic with them on the car?
Nope - they are silver. The last two pics are of them on the car. My cell phone camera isnt the best - they look much better in person.

·
Registered
E-350/2010 4-MATIC (E-320/2000 R.I.P.)
378 Posts
Okay...so what is the blue tint in the middle picture?:dunno: covering for the glass I assume?

Edit=Okay now I see it...You painted the chrome..silver...now I see it! Told you I was a little slow, and this is after 2 cups of coffee.. :D

·
Registered
2000 E430 Sport
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay...so what is the blue tint in the middle picture?:dunno:

Thats the tape I placed over the signal light reflector to mask it off from the paint. That and the bezel parts are still "chrome" while the rest has been painted silver. I used a home made spray booth using tape, coat hanger, and a cardboard box.

·
Registered
2007 E550, 2007 GL450
479 Posts
Okay...so what is the blue tint in the middle picture?:dunno: covering for the glass I assume?

Edit=Okay now I see it...You painted the chrome..silver...now I see it! Told you I was a little slow, and this is after 2 cups of coffee.. :D
Lol...I must be slow as well, had the same questions.

reyna7 - they look great!

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,633 Posts
Reyna, I like the look. Really subtle stuff like that is cool to me; it's the sort of thing that is easy to miss, particularly when you throw in the red herring of the taped off picture!

Once in, it's subtle enough it will always be missed, unless you take the time to point it out to them.

I don't know that I'd go to that much trouble by itself, but once you have to take the light apart anyway....why not? And it looks like you do quality work, as well. Nice job, man.:thumbsup:

Take care and enjoy the ride,
Greg

·
Registered
2000 E430 Sport
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks Alot Guys!

I really appreciate your comments - even more so coming from my fellow forum members who love their rides as much as I love mine. I took the lights to a very popular local paint shop for some pointers and they told me it couldnt be done because the paint would chip and wouldnt stick to the "chrome" surface. A trip to Wal-Mart and a can spray paint later and so far so good. :thumbsup:

I tried to take more pics today...

I like the subtle stuff too - most people cant tell that I did anything at all.

Speaking of subtle - can you guys tell what I changed in the second to last pic?

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts