Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1992 400Se; 1984 230CE
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think most pre-facelift 140s came with a two tone paint finish. In the case of my '92 400se, it is anthracite grey (MB Code 172) over mussel grey (DB 176).

Having collected a few chips and scratches over the years, the time has come where as part of my on-going restoration programme,.I am going to have the lower third of the car re-painted (i.e. front and rear bumpers, the four plastic cover panels and sills on each side).

I'm getting some quotes. One paint shop suggested the use of a mirror finish lacquer to give a nice strong top coat over the paint. This would match the finish on the upoer parts of the car where you can see your reflection in the paint.

As I'm going down the "keep it original" look, could any members let me know their views on the correct paint finish for the lower part of the car - most of the pictures I've seen in the original brochures etc. show a unlacquered, matt finish. Does this just mean that MB used the metallic paint but with no clear coat, or can one get matt finish clear coats ?

Hope this makes sense .. any thoughts appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
92 500SEL to 01 E320T current 2014 lexus LS460
3,886 Posts
The lower cladding (92 to 95 i think) was painted a semi-gloss and has specific part number for each body color.

·
Outstanding Contributor W221 Moderator
2010 E350 P1/P2, 2008 S550 Designo, 2002 ML320
2,265 Posts
My local Glasurit dealer advised that I use the standard Glasurit clear with the 'flattening agent'. I opted just to go with the clear and am quite happy with the results.

·
Registered
2004 clk500
928 Posts
why not paint the whole car one color?

it will give it a more updated look i am sure of that. how much are the body shops charging you which i like to know cause later i will be doing the same thing.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts