Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1989 500 SEC, Arctic White (147)/Sato Grey (7738) - Dark Blue Leather (262)
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '89 SEC is painted Arctic White and I'm having a bit of work done on it.

First question: Where in the UK will I get Mercedes Arctic White paint; from Merc only or will a paint supplier know how to mix it or where to get it?

Second: The bumpers and body mouldings are painted a light grey colour, which I believe was the standard colour that was used on these parts on Arctinc White cars. Does anyone know what this colour is, specifically, and where I can get it, other than from a Merc dealer? I got a touch-up pen years ago in this colour bit it's been knocking round my garage for years and the actual paint code has come off.

Third question: How much paint do you think I need to order to do a full re-paint of the bumpers, body mouldings and wind mirror housings?

Cheers,

J.

·
Premium Member
1990 SEC
4,194 Posts
Jonathan,

The Mercedes-Benz Arctic White (147) is a color they have used for at least 40 years and most independent shops should be able to match the color for you.

The gray plastic paneling is going to present a different challenge.

The original color will have faded over the years so getting old panels to match with new panels cannot be done with the original color.

I decided to have my panels painted white to match the rest of my car. The shop will have to use different prepping material and a different formula for the paint (more flexing of the plastic panels), but mine came out very good.

I have no idea how much paint is needed for the plastic panels, but the paint is not the major cost. The removal, cleaning and prepping of the panels and bumpers will account for most of your expenses.

Good luck on your car.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers for reply.

If I went to a paint supplier and tell them "Mercedes Arctic White" would they simply be able to sell me the correct stuff - is it a common "off-the-shelf" paint in the trade? Reason I ask is that the painting is going to be done by a mate who is manager of a powder-coating/spray painting factory who is allowed to use the facilities on a weekend for his own work so I only need to supply the pant and he can put it on. I will do much of the prep-work my self.

Matching the colour of the body mouldings is not an issue as I am simply going to have them all done in their entirety.

J.

·
Premium Member
1990 SEC
4,194 Posts
Cheers for reply.

If I went to a paint supplier and tell them "Mercedes Arctic White" would they simply be able to sell me the correct stuff - is it a common "off-the-shelf" paint in the trade? Reason I ask is that the painting is going to be done by a mate who is manager of a powder-coating/spray painting factory who is allowed to use the facilities on a weekend for his own work so I only need to supply the pant and he can put it on. I will do much of the prep-work my self.

Matching the colour of the body mouldings is not an issue as I am simply going to have them all done in their entirety.

J.
Yes, any competent shop should be able to mix you a batch of paint if you tell them you need Mercedes-Benz, Arctic White, color # 147.

Consider having the plastic panels painted white as well. It updates the look of the car considerably.

Here are some pictures of my car with the gray moulding and in all white.

Attachments

·
Registered
Two '87 570SECs, one '87 560SEL
4,467 Posts
Ok, here's another viewpoint. I painted my '87 560SEC Chrysler Bright Silver instead of Mercedes Bright Silver because I did not want to be tied to Mercedes paint. The colors are VERY similar but I can now go down to the local auto parts store and buy Duplicolor spray cans and touch-up bottles that match the paint perfectly. The car was painted with PPG paint.

I have a Lorinser front bumper chin spoiler piece to add on. It will be painted with Duplicolor primers, color, and clear once it's installed. It will match perfectly.

MUCH easier to take care of the car since I used a non-MB paint on it. FYI, Duplicolor touch-up paint bottles include a brush and large ballpoint pen type applicator in the lid that makes it very easy to add paint to rock chips.

I'd recommend you find a white paint that is very close to your color, that is available in the local auto parts store in spray cans. Use a name brand paint (e.g., DuPont, PPG) for the car, then touch-ups or painting other parts of the car is very easy from that point on.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
In Saint Louis a good paint store can mix up the Mercedes color from a formula and put it in spray cans for you. They can also scan the paint on the car and get a custom formula for the paint as it is today - it will have changed being in the weather. They can put that in cans too.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys.

Been on the phone to Merc dealer and they tell me that the bumper and body mouldings colour on my car is called "Sato Grey", code - 7738.

Merc don't supply paint - other than in spray cans or touch-up sticks - so I've ordered a stick from them so a paint supplier can use it as a reference to mix paint, if need be.

J.

·
Registered
1982 Euro 500 SEC, 1985 300D Turbo Diesel (338,000 miles!), 1984 Euro BRABUS 190E
275 Posts
Do dealers do paint work? I assume they do touch-up following body work, but will they do full paint job? Where's the best place to get a (near) factor quality paint job?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Don't know about US dealers but here they don't. Merc has approved body shops to do accident repairs and the like so it dosen't invalidate the warranty. The one used by Merc round here is very good but they are expensive - as you would expect - as they mostly do insurance work.

J.

·
Registered
1991 190E 2.6 Auto, Artic White/grey MB-Tex
278 Posts
The gray on the lower plastic panels on my W201 are a perfect match for "pewter" Valspar spray paint available at Lowe's!

·
Premium Member
1989 560SEC AMG Euro / 2012 C300 4Matic Sport / 2006 CLS500 AMG
2,345 Posts
Our MB dealerships here in Vancouver have their very own own MB bodyshop, outstanding work and of course they carry the full selection of MB colours.

Arctic White is no longer a current colour, so having it made by a quality shop may be your only option.

- Steve

1 - 11 of 11 Posts