Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a new c230 kompressor about two weeks ago. I drove from the lot to my house where the car sat under the car cover for several days. I then drove it to work an immediately after leaving work washed the car. When i pulled the car in the garage, i noticed a haze under the clear coat of the driver's side door. Upon closer inspection it appeared as if the door had been repainted. This leads me to believe that the dealer had knowledge of this and used a polish on the door that came off when it was washed. I contacted my salesperson about this problem, who promptly put me on with his maintenance supervisor, who recommended that I take it to a body shop that the dealer uses. Bear in mind this bodyshop is over an hour away from where I live. When the technician saw the car he immediately alluded to the fact that the car was purchased used, which I assured him was not the case, it was purchased new with only 18 miles on it. He was stunned! He said that the door did not even match the rest of the car, and must have been 'fixed' to cover up an existing problem, ie. painted, sanded or both. He wrote up an estimate that totaled $1000+ dollars. I was irate when I left. This post is both to serve as a vent for me and hopefully will garner some response as to how I should handle this situation......anyone have any ideas????

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Had the same problem with a Suburban

We didn't even notice until years later when the paint started to wear away at the edges on the hood. The dealer agreed 4 years later and paid 1/2 to repaint the hood. I guess cars do get damaged in transit and from then on I go over the car just like I would a used one. I open the hood and trunk and look for evidence of body work, check the wheel wells and inside door panels for signs of overspray and I give the entire body a once over for signs of fisheyes, runs or any signs of sloppy body work (most body shops). Also look for inconsistancies in the degree of orange peel between panels, this is hard to duplicate.<br> <br> Maybe you can add a clause in the sales contract that if the car shows evidence of previous damage you are entitled to a new car within the first year.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Had the same problem with the roof on a VW. Didn't notice until years later when the roof started to fade. Cars do get damaged at the factory, in transit, and at the dealer.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
you have so many legal right in this situation its not even funny. DO NOT SIGN ANYTHING the dealer trys to get you to. You are entitled to a new car. I will be in court very soon against MB under the lemon law of california.<br> <br> Jason

1 - 7 of 7 Posts