Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1988 300 SE
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings! I realize that this is really a "detail" question, but it seems as though few people read that forum. My question concerns paint overspray and claying. I now have white overspray paint on my dark green Suburban, thank God it wasn't the MB, no one has to die now. Anyway, will claying remove the paint? It's the typical fine mist that you can really one tell 6 inches from the paint or by running your hand over it. If not claying, what are my other options? Thanks in advance as always. Scott

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
clay should do it, worst case aggressive meachine buffing or mild wet sanding, but I doubt you'll have to take it that far.

Jonathan

·
Registered
1990 560 SEL & 1995 E300D
459 Posts
mexicocrow,

I had a similar experience in the late 1990's that involved my then 1997 Cadillac Deville. It too, was a dark (metallic) green paint scheme with a well maintained cleacoat finish. The overspray was detected 2 days after it happened and we didn't apply our solution to the mishap(I was arguing w/ my insurance company during this time)for all of 9 days post. I don't know where you live and what your climate is at the moment, but my ordeal occurred in Florida in February (usually our coldest month, if there is such a thing). We targeted an area approximately 2 feet in diameter....the worst area we could find.....and on a day when the temperature was approximately 70* we applied a warm solution of water and Ivory Liquid dishwashing soap (any mild, non-abrasive detergent would likely suffice) and repeated this process three times using a wash mitten you can obtain from any auto parts store. The result was an "overspray free" car that needed a wax job. We did the rims and tires using the same method and you couldn't tell it ever happened.

What I know about paint jobs you can fit in a thimble with room left over for the Chinese Army, but I do know paint has difficulty adhering to a smooth surface. If your Suburban has an otherwise slick surface as to the paint this will likely remedy your problem. The only caveat may be the length of time the overspray remains on the finish, in which case it might require an additional washing or two. It worked for me!

I wish you luck, my friend.

Gary

1 - 3 of 3 Posts