Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1990 Arctic White 560 SEC and 1990 Smoke Silver Metallic 560 SEC (formerly Cascade's)
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to paint my 'havana brown' SEC into a color that will give it a little more zest. Something like the Merlot on that wrecked SEL (pictures attached).

The question is: How much can I expect to pay for a top quality, factory looking paint job? I have no need for the body to be resprayed on the inside or for it to be a concours winning paint job, just a very high quality Merlot paint job.

Realistically, how much would I expect to spend on that?

·
Mercedes
9,038 Posts
I would say $5000 minimum... most of the cost covers the labor of prepping the entire body for repainting.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
theboss - 4/21/2005 7:43 PM

shit he can buy the w126 of his choice of colour in that much cash$$$$
On what planet? Snibble's estimate is right on the head.

·
AMG Forums Moderator
SLK55 (2006) C36 (1995)
3,288 Posts
sounds about right. colour changes are VERY expensive.

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
5K if you're lucky... The amount of prep that goes into a proper colour change is HUGE...at this point in 126's life it's better to go find the colour you want.

Jonathan

·
Registered
93 190E 2.6; 82 300 SD Turbo
1,678 Posts
So, im wondering here:

I have some spots where the paint is coming off in small dots. little specks. I need the tail repainted becuase my father backed into a dumpster (somehow) and scratched off a good corner of paint. Also there is some rust underneath the headlamps. I am going to keep my factory color of Metallic - Champagne. Can i Just touch up those areas or should i get a completely new paint job and how much would that run me?

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I'd think that you could get a decent, non show quality paint job for 3k. Depends on your long term plans. If you can't see yourself owning the car in 5 years, just touch it up.

·
Registered
1984 500 SEC
234 Posts
I have asked the same question before and got about the same pricing for a good quality paint job.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
There appears to be a merlot colored SEC on Ebay right now. Hard to tell, maybe a purple, but I think it may be Merlot.

·
Registered
'85 500SEL AMG, 91 560SEL, '99 E55, '00 SL600, '99 S600, '99 E300 TD, '92 190E
183 Posts
Will that Merlot look good with your color interior? It's best to sell yours and get your choice of color. Changing the color will decrease value.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts