Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My husband and I purchased a used E500 in 11/07. Although we love the car we are considering trading it for something more fuel efficient. We took the car to a local dealer last week who told us that the car had had the front left and right fenders, the hood, and the trunk repainted. We were very skeptical of this so I took it to a local Audi bodyshop, they said the same think. I just spoke with the dealer who sold us the car and he informed me that the paint is thicker on E500's in that area and reassured me the car had not been repainted, they all come from the factory that way. Now I'm not sure who to believe, I've been searching online trying to find answers but I can find nothing regarding uneven paint or paint thickness on Mercedes.

Does anyone have any knowledge of this? I am having a hard time believing the dealer.

Thanks so much!

·
Banned
99 Merc S420 (80k Mi) 07 Lexus LS460 (21k Miles)
4,583 Posts
It's very easy to tell if its been repainted. Look and see if those areas look slightly different or you can see where it was taped at the edge of the body panels. Did you run a CARFAX on this car before your purchased it? Or was this a dealer Demo?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's very easy to tell if its been repainted. Look and see if those areas look slightly different or you can see where it was taped at the edge of the body panels. Did you run a CARFAX on this car before your purchased it? Or was this a dealer Demo?
We did run a Carfax, and it was clean. But from what I've heard Carfax isn't all that reliable anymore, who knows? I'm taking it back to the original place that told us it was repainted and they are going to show me exactly what and where it is evident. Now I just have to figure out if/how to fight Mercedes :eek:

·
Banned
4,583 Posts
Was this a demo car? If so, then it could easily have been in an accident and repaired without CARFAX ever knowing. Dealers do this on a regular basis.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Was this a demo car? If so, then it could easily have been in an accident and repaired without CARFAX ever knowing. Dealers do this on a regular basis.
They never told me it was a demo, the only thing I know is that they got it from another Mercedes dealer. Is there any other way for me to find out if is has been in an accident?

·
Registered
'85 2.3-16 '99 C280 '11 GLK350
4,804 Posts
Just to be clear, more information might help:

1) The place that sold you the car 11/07 was a Mercedes dealership?

2) Did the car have a Starmark Warranty or any other dealership warranty?

3) Aside from the claims about "new" paint, is the car otherwise operational?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Just to be clear, more information might help:

1) The place that sold you the car 11/07 was a Mercedes dealership?
Yes

2) Did the car have a Starmark Warranty or any other dealership warranty?
Dealer Warranty, but it is now expired.

3) Aside from the claims about "new" paint, is the car otherwise operational?
Yes, we're just concerned about trade in/resale value, and not having this information disclosed to us when we purchased it. I'm not sure we would have bought it had we known about it being repainted.

·
Banned
4,583 Posts
They never told me it was a demo, the only thing I know is that they got it from another Mercedes dealer. Is there any other way for me to find out if is has been in an accident?
I'd be willing to bet it was a demo that was in an accident. You say it wasn't CPO (starmarked), only dealer warrantied. That tells us a whole lot right there. Why wouldn't it have been CPO'd? Accident damage.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'd be willing to bet it was a demo that was in an accident. You say it wasn't CPO (starmarked), only dealer warrantied. That tells us a whole lot right there. Why wouldn't it have been CPO'd? Accident damage.

What is CPO'd? Why does that tell you a whole lot? I am probably *ucked, can I ever find out what, if anything, happened? How?

Also, have you heard of paint being uneven coming from the factory? The dealer said only the hood, R/L front fenders and trunk (coincidentally the places I was complaining about) The hood read anywhere from 3-8.5 Seem s like a big gap to me.

·
Premium Member
2013 C250
7,273 Posts
Possibly, but why would MB dealer not just wholesale it off like they do with a lot of other substandard trades?

·
Banned
4,583 Posts
Possibly, but why would MB dealer not just wholesale it off like they do with a lot of other substandard trades?
Because other dealers would pick up on the repaint in 3 seconds. Some smuck off the street wouldn't have a clue (and they would pay full price for it).

·
Banned
4,583 Posts
CPO= Certified pre-owned. A car must pass a series of tests, an inspection and must NOT have been in an accident to qualify. Your MB warranty would have been extended if you had gotten a CPO'd car.

·
Registered
1999 ML320
24,029 Posts
CPO= Certified pre-owned. A car must pass a series of tests, an inspection and must NOT have been in an accident to qualify. Your MB warranty would have been extended if you had gotten a CPO'd car.
Is it or is it not CPOed ?

Also, wasn't there a problem with the environment friendly paint ?

·
Registered
222.132 & 221.122 & 213.050 & 906.633
10,426 Posts
Also, wasn't there a problem with the environment friendly paint ?
There was and is a problem with the environment friendly paint. It is on all cars, a 2007 car should not have any specific issues with that. The water soluble paint just isn't as durable as the old ones, even after improvements with the nano-lac. As such, should not be related to the original issue.

·
Registered
222.132 & 221.122 & 213.050 & 906.633
10,426 Posts
We took the car to a local dealer last week who told us that the car had had the front left and right fenders, the hood, and the trunk repainted. We were very skeptical of this so I took it to a local Audi bodyshop, they said the same think. I just spoke with the dealer who sold us the car and he informed me that the paint is thicker on E500's in that area and reassured me the car had not been repainted, they all come from the factory that way.

On a W211, aren't those exactly the parts that are aluminium. Try with a magnet! I don't know if this makes the paint thickness measurement fail or if aluminium just needs more paint. I guess this was not an MB shop? You could let them measure a new W211 from the shop.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
On a W211, aren't those exactly the parts that are aluminium. Try with a magnet! I don't know if this makes the paint thickness measurement fail or if aluminium just needs more paint. I guess this was not an MB shop? You could let them measure a new W211 from the shop.
I have read that those parts are aluminum, but I can't find any info about paint in regards to the aluminum. Why would the dealer not just tell me that? What a mess.

·
Premium Member
2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
17,193 Posts
FYI: Paint thickness

This has no bearing on your issue but I can answer one of your questions about the differing thickness of MB paint.

One time the general manager of an MB dealer got out his gadget that measures paint and went all around a brand new car, a CLS if I remember correctly. The paint depth varied from panel to panel. It's been a while ago, but I think it is intentionally thicker on the roof, hood and trunk than it is on the sides. And by the way, he said the painters are robots.

·
Registered
2000 E430 4Matic
173 Posts
Wow, some of the responses here really make me laugh.

Magnets?
Different paint thickness on purpose?

Are you people bodymen in real life or do you just play one on the internet?

A magnet will do absolutely ZERO for the paint thickness and will very rarely show any bondo except in the case of a huge amount. Even a thin refrig. magnet will go right through a professionally laid on filler.

Extra thick paint from the factory? That is hilarious. Cars are now and have been for years sprayed by robot to exacting standards. All panels get the same amount.

Aluminum panels needing more paint? Give me a break. The aluminum saves weight, period.

The average person will not be able to detect body repair that is even shoddy at best. A pro will detect even the best work as there are always signs, always.

The dealer will rely on a paint depth gauge to determine past body repair if it is good enough to the naked untrained eye.

Without seeing the car in question in person, I would say it was in some type of front end accident and there will be tons of signs, but for the OP, I would strongly take issue with the selling dealer. Carfax is a joke. Tons of accidents don't get listed and if the car was repaired for cash and not under insurance, it won't show either.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts