Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,

I'm finally going to pull the trigger and get my car (300SDL) repainted. I'm trying to decide if I want to keep the original color (Petrol - Blue-green metallic), or go with a "modern" pearl white. Just thought that I would reach out to you guys and get your input on it. I like a white car, but the Petrol is a very unique color - I've never seen another SDL in that color.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Original or w126 colors at least.

Pearl white is very 90s color and looks good on very few cars. Mostly American cars .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK, so lets say that I go original (leaning that way, for sure), what about the cladding? Grey, as original, or same as body color? I kind of think that the grey/silver breaks up the car nicely.

I appreciate the input, guys!

Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Few colors look good with same color cladding. For example black is not one of them in my opinion along with white. But I’m a purist.

Period correct looking car looks preserved, not updated or personalized. To me preserved means loved and cherished. But that’s just me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Outstanding Contributor
3,976 Posts
I vote petrol but with colored cladding. A shade slightly darker than the body. I hesitate to say it but the gray always makes me think of the early Hondas and Toyotas.

·
Registered
396 Posts
The first photo with the Euro bumpers, I wonder if the lower cladding is the same gloss as the body (rear bumper appears likely to be)? It's a conundrum, because we're so used to seeing the originals with a shade of gray or a similar but contrasting color from the body. In this case, I think the first photo is the best option and totally sways me to body color, gloss and all (in this case). I think this is especially the case the darker the color is on these '80s/'90s Mercedes (the Midnight blue cars with matched lower cladding look exquisite).

·
SuperModerator
13,268 Posts
I remember that petrol SEC. I think some parts from me are on that cos it was a members car.

Rob, I would vote for petrol, with a slightly different petrol colour cladding for slight contrast.

·
Registered
61,927 Posts
A slightly darker Petrol. I think it is very elegant and will really pop the LOs. Second choice for me would be all the same color except the wheels.

·
Registered
61,927 Posts

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah, I'm not sure if I like the dark better than the light grey that it came with or not :(. That one's a blue one, rather than the Petrol, as well. This is a tough decision. Thanks for contributing, though!

Rob

·
Registered
223 Posts
Is that cladding a dark grey, or is it a darker green, it's so hard to see...

Rob
Its a photo of my 1989 car. 1989 was the last year for the color, and the first year for color matched cladding. The cladding color is called Taxus Green. Because of wavyiness in the side cladding, Mercedes chose the much less tacky satin finish for the bumpers and cladding.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts