Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1990 Mercedes 560SEL
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks,

Now that the weather is getting warm, I am getting ready to work on my paint chips and scratches. I would like to know what is the Paint Color of this car. I find the following information in front of the radiator:

040 F 551 873

I assume that the body color is "040 BLACK". The bumper and sides are grey in color. How do I find the color code of this grey color? I will try and post the picture of the paint color code panel soon. For now the picture of the car below is attached.

Ramesh.

Attachments

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
shoot me your VIN I'll pull your data card.

Jonathan

·
Registered
1990 Mercedes 560SEL
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Jonathan,

Here is my VIN # WDBCA39EXLA537899. Thanks.

Yours,

Ramesh.

·
Always Remembered. RIP.
'85 500SEL
1,829 Posts
Alright! You got the best colour ever, 040 Black is the purest black there is for our cars
Though, you might agree 040 is a pain to keep clean
Your paint job looks nice so I guess, like my car, every imperfection is magnified tenfold due to the very high reflection qualities it has, especially under extreme bright sun where even minor swirl marks become very visible
That's why I prefer overcast days and twilight to drive around, then 040 is very beautiful and photogenic

I painted my bumpers and sides black the day after I bought my 500 and I love the look, you should definitely do the same

Damon

·
Registered
'91 560SEC
940 Posts
Hey Damon,

how much did it cost you to get the bumpers and sides painted black?

·
Always Remembered. RIP.
'85 500SEL
1,829 Posts
About $70NZ ($40US) for the paint and prep materials...did it myself
I'm so cheap, I do everything myself :D

·
Registered
1993 300SEL (Sold) 2007 X5
7,218 Posts
nomada said:
About $70NZ ($40US) for the paint and prep materials...did it myself
I'm so cheap, I do everything myself :D
Do you have a painting booth? I need to touch op some stone chips on my car what are the dealer prices like for paint I am not even sure if my car is the original colour. Because the russian MB site says my car should be a dark metalic grey.:confused:

Also where was that pic taken?

Thanks.

·
Always Remembered. RIP.
'85 500SEL
1,829 Posts
I just remove the parts and paint them in my garage, I'm not a pro at it
Hmmm your car is definitely silver, so I don't know what's with the dark metallic grey? Normally though I just get the paint code for my cars and take it to 'Automotive Colours' here in ChCh, they have MB paint codes in their database so they mix me up some paint, usually a spray can
I didn't need to do that for my black car though, I just used off the shelf paint
The pic was taken on the way to Diamond Harbour, Lyttelton Harbour in the background

·
Registered
7,218 Posts
nomada said:
I just remove the parts and paint them in my garage, I'm not a pro at it
Hmmm your car is definitely silver, so I don't know what's with the dark metallic grey? Normally though I just get the paint code for my cars and take it to 'Automotive Colours' here in ChCh, they have MB paint codes in their database so they mix me up some paint, usually a spray can
I didn't need to do that for my black car though, I just used off the shelf paint
The pic was taken on the way to Diamond Harbour, Lyttelton Harbour in the background
Well thats the thing IF my car was repainted someone wasted alot of money to do so because all the engine bay and under the lining in the boot is silver.

·
Registered
7,218 Posts
Whats it like to do I also have a scratch on my bumper did you just sand teh parts down a bit prime them and paint then add a clear coat?

·
Registered
1984 500 SEL euro, 1989 560 SEL, 1980 450 SL, 1981 DeLorean, 2013 F10 BMW
1,253 Posts
Your paint is 040 black. That is straight black, no metalic. This is one of theoldest colours in theMB line. Very straight forward and beautiful colours on these regal saloons.

Regards,

·
Always Remembered. RIP.
'85 500SEL
1,829 Posts
NZ Benz said:
Whats it like to do I also have a scratch on my bumper did you just sand teh parts down a bit prime them and paint then add a clear coat?
Exactly that, though with a nice car like yours I wouldn't try it myself, I'd get it professionally done

·
Registered
7,218 Posts
nomada said:
Exactly that, though with a nice car like yours I wouldn't try it myself, I'd get it professionally done
:mad: Man but yours is such a nice car too and it looks good. All I hear is $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$, You know how much a new internal mirror cost? $360, My mate paid for it but dude this car is exspensive sometimes (he broke it), but I love it so much:D :D :D :D :D . How much should I pay for a touch up, I once got the bonnet, roof and boot of a badly oxodised/sun dmaged car done for $900 two years later when I sold it the paint still looked new. But that guy is way up north at home and I am here in Dunedin. Do you know anyone here or in Christchurch who will do cash.

SORRY I AM OFF TOPIC.;)

·
Registered
1989 560SEL
2,110 Posts
ramesh, get new wheels! your paint is so nice, but the wheels are all scuffed up. replica 15-holers are really cheap on tirerack.

i also recommend swapping out the standard silver-painted center caps to the 2002-style center caps with the star outlined in chrome on a silver background. i put these on my car, and they are a very subtle but noticeable improvement.

·
Always Remembered RIP
2015 ML 400 x 2
16,613 Posts
It soundslike you have the same color as mine, paint is 199 nearly black but actually dark grey.

There are 3 very similar side skirt greys 7177, 7178 and 7176. One of them is flat while the other 2 are gloss.

Not best attachment but gives you an idea.

Cheers

Attachments

·
Registered
1990 Mercedes 560SEL
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
420 SE said:
It soundslike you have the same color as mine, paint is 199 nearly black but actually dark grey.

There are 3 very similar side skirt greys 7177, 7178 and 7176. One of them is flat while the other 2 are gloss.

Not best attachment but gives you an idea.

Cheers
I think my side skirts are gloss grey. They are not flat. Any how I will be going to Professor's on Sunday (if it does not rain) to put in the new oxygen sensor. (I know I have been talking about this for a long time) I will ask the professor about it. I will post more close up pictures.

Ramesh.

·
Registered
85 300SD
1 Posts
I'm kinda stumped with all the numbers on the data plate that's next to the radiator. Somewhere there is a color code/trim code/interior code, I guess...
85 300SD

5556819 3
126120 12
22 1
273 410 506 611
107223 M 440 519 222
0 451 531
2 702 6 470 551
241 805 491 588 227

my VIN is WDBCB20C8FA187857

·
Registered
1983 300SD,2002 ML500,(MBCA Member)
961 Posts
Paint the sides

Ramesh said:
I think my side skirts are gloss grey. They are not flat. Any how I will be going to Professor's on Sunday (if it does not rain) to put in the new oxygen sensor. (I know I have been talking about this for a long time) I will ask the professor about it. I will post more close up pictures.

Ramesh.
Ramesh,
I am early waiting for your pictures and step-by-step procedure for re-spraying the sides. I would like to do this to my 420SEL soon.

tia

·
Registered
2004 SL500, 1993 S420, 1990 420 SEL, 1985 500SE, 1994 Toyota Supra Aerotop
755 Posts
I was going to switch to the Gen II smooth trim, I've got the Diamond Blue, anyone know whay the correlating gen II trim colour should be - is it just the "Plue Poly - DB5944"? The 1st gen is pretty much grey. I was planning on doing the same colour all over, but I don't know... I kind of like the 2-tone look, after seeing pics without the two-tone scheme, they look kind of like normal cars, still not sure, but it must be a distinctive 126 feature.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts