Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm usually at the e class forum, but my dad is having a problem with his 04 ML...Seems he has lots of little chips on the hood ands the fenders...and they are rusting...He does not do alot of driving and these do not appear top be from road debris or rocks, because many are on the side and the flat part of the hood...Does anyone know of problems with paint, etc on these?

·
Registered
1999 E55, 2001 E320, 1990 560 SEC, 2004 ML350, 2001 ML55, 1995 S500, 1998 SL500, 2010 E550 Sport zoo
7,035 Posts
Ecology my friend...

The ML's are assembled in Alabama, and the paitn type is different from Euro MB's... for MB owner's who are used to hard shell top coats on their paint, the paint makeup on the ML is far short of that.

That said, I have not had, or seen. normal chips that ran so deep to cause rust...the body metal is also treated before painting to be rust resistant..

I'd say for whatever reason, your Dada runs thru some nasty stuff from time to time..

On ML's for front end and door edge protection the 3M "invisible bra" material works well... although installation can be a challenge to do right since the bra material doesn't stretch in the same way like window material does..

I had the 3M Invisible bra stuff on my 1st ML "wine color" and it worked well.

Rusty chip area's can/need to be cleaned with a fiberglass pencil/wand 1st (3M makes it) before immediate touch up - just so you know...

There are some new touch-up kits out there, with smoothers included, that should give fairly good results, better than than the dealer or aftermarket straight paint touchup paint-only.

Keep the beat !

·
Outstanding Contributor
2002 ML320, 2003 A160, 2002 ML500, 2018 GLS350d
4,443 Posts
Apply some rust converter solution to stop the rust process and prepare the surface for painting. Use a cotton bud - these liquids are caustic and you don't want to get any on normal paint.

My local MB panel shop sells tiny bottles of OEM paint for minor chips & scratches. You can also order touch-up pens from your MB dealer.

I bought a Langka repair kit off the internet and it gives satisfactory results. Nothing short of a respray is going to withstand scrutiny with a magnifying glass, but at arm's length you can dramatically improve your car's appearance if you fill in all the chips. You can do a search to read about others' opinions of the Langka product.

Not too sure about "invisible bra" but I reckon those black bra things detract from the appearance of your vehicle. What's the point of sticking on a black thing to protect the paint underneath when you never get to see the pristine paint underneath because there's a black thing stuck on it?

·
Registered
2002 ML 500, 1994 Ford Explorer donated to Doctors without Borders
2,126 Posts
I'm interested in these touch up kits.

I have the similar problem to whitewagon's dad, but my main issue is with my tailgate section. It's my fault. I severely scratched and scrapped it loading a dryer (it was in the winter with lots of snow and ice and the ML was so dirty I couldn't see that I was damaging it. Yes I feel stupid and really angry at myself! Oh, wait! No one asked for any of this... nevermind!)

My ML is desert silver. Can you recommend kits I should take a look at?

·
Registered
'00 ML320
152 Posts
Ive driven my ml through the rockies in the dead of winter a few times, and through the cascades a lot. As such i have rock chips to spare, and do mean an ASS LOAD. maybe even a square metric ass ass load. on every surface of the car. Compared it to the invisabra, it would only cover 65-70% of them. The A-pillars, the top, the top of the hood, the corners of the head lights, the worst is the grill area is shot. Gonna have to repaint it. As a preventative measure, i was told you can have high impact clear sprayed on your whole front end for under 1k dollars, guy said it wouldnt chip regardless of the paint under it. No proof as my bill would have been 1300 to include the repaint.

I hear the lipstick touch up, if its not as bad as mine, can do wonders.

·
Outstanding Contributor
2002 ML320, 2003 A160, 2002 ML500, 2018 GLS350d
4,443 Posts
Bogie said:
I'm interested in these touch up kits.

My ML is desert silver. Can you recommend kits I should take a look at?
If your local authorized MB panel shop doesn't sell touch-up paint, ask for part number A 000 986 04 50 1693 at your MB parts counter.

I use and recommend the Langka Complete Paint Chip Repair Kit. $39.95 + $7.95 shipping.

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts