Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I just purchased a paint chip repair kit from Langka.com

Has anyone used this, and how are the results?

Any tips?

mike

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
was not even aware there was a video. Let me know what you think of it, and if you have any tips, I'd appreciate it.

·
Registered
2004 SL500 2002 SLK320
1,672 Posts
I am having problems. I waited two hours and then 12 hours. For some reason the blob is not comming off unless you rub hard and everything off.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tigger,

I have not yet had a chance to try it. I've been extremely busy. I'll try it within a week or two, and post my results when I do.

Mike

·
Registered
2004 SL500 2002 SLK320
1,672 Posts
I think I am a simi Langka Master.[:D][:D]

I learned the following by trial and error.

1. Put on blob the cover the whole paint chip like a hill. The hill will have a depression when it dries. I did discovered that the paint in the chip will be different colors if you try to put paint in the chip at different times with the tooth pick. For example I put paint on the upper section of the chip and put paint in the lower section of the chip in two tries. I end up having a line between the two sections of the chip. So put on a big blob of paint will be better. Not too big of a blob.

2. Let it dry for at least 24 hours.

3. Rub medium hard and then gently.

I just use the brush in the kit. You can see where the paint chip used to be, if you look up close. Also I could not find some of the paint chips when I was going to put on clear coat.

So I guess I need a lots of practice.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Tigger,

Do you know if there is a max time before you remove the blob?

I have some old blobs which are months old. Wondering if it will the kit can remove it, or will I screw things up worse?

I painted my car yesterday, will let the blob set at least 24hrs as you say. then I'll try it.

Mike

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Tigger,

I tried it. I think my paint dried too long. I did about 24 hrs, and several applications of touch up paint. It took a lot of the blob eliminator and extremely vigorous rubbing to get out the excess paint and blob.

I live in CA, and although the weather has not been warm, perhaps that was a factor.

As for the results, you're right ... the color does not match well. Have you had any better luck with this?

Also, are you getting the paint reduced to perfectly even? It seems mine is pretty close, but still not perfectly even with the original paint. Perhaps that is why the color results aren't as good also. (not a perfectly smooth surface, thus the reflection is off).

Mike

·
Registered
327 Posts
2004 SL 500 - 4/20/2005 2:34 AM

Tigger,

I tried it. I think my paint dried too long. I did about 24 hrs, and several applications of touch up paint. It took a lot of the blob eliminator and extremely vigorous rubbing to get out the excess paint and blob.

I live in CA, and although the weather has not been warm, perhaps that was a factor.

As for the results, you're right ... the color does not match well. Have you had any better luck with this?

The kit that you purchased; did it include the touch up paint from langka? The best touch up paint that I have been able to find comes from paint scratch, www.paintscratch.com. I have found that their color match is as close as you are going to find anywhere.

I was quite amazed that even the Brilliant Silver was almost un-detectible.

Also, are you getting the paint reduced to perfectly even? It seems mine is pretty close, but still not perfectly even with the original paint. Perhaps that is why the color results aren't as good also. (not a perfectly smooth surface, thus the reflection is off).

Mike

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've been using touch up paint purchased from MB, not from the site you mentioned.

In reading Tigger's earlier comments, I probably made the mistake of multiple applications of touch up paint, where he recommended doing it in one shot. My problem is that even though I applied a lot of paint, it wasn't enough to fill up the "hole" upon drying. Thus, I needed additional application.

Well, hopefully with practice I'll get better.

Please keep posting any new tips if you learn something new.

Mike

·
Registered
2004 SL500 2002 SLK320
1,672 Posts
2004 SL 500 - 4/20/2005 1:34 AM

Tigger,

Mike
It may be that the paint is too old. The MB touch up paint match perfectly a year ago. I am getting new touch up when i get back from Star Tech. Try to let it dry for two hours and see what happens.

Go here for instructions: http://www.langka.com/index.cfm?page=howitworks.cfm

STEP 2:

1. Applying Touch up Paint
Apply the touch up paint as "surgical" as possible using a Fine Tip Brush or a Microbrush (less paint applied results in less paint to remove which results in less rubbing, and that is a "good" thing). The idea is to get the paint on so it can begin to dry. If you accidentally drip paint on the vehicle, just wipe it off with a cloth and remove the "smeared" paint with The Blob Eliminator then or later. Remember, all liquids, including paint, will "shrink" as they dry, so applying a 2nd or 3rd coat may be required, especially if the chip is "deep". Just keep re-applying layers until you get a raised area of touch up paint.

2. Drying Time Issues:
Drying time VARIES depending on the temperature (especially the metal's temperature), relative humidity and the type of manufactures touch up paint you use. For example, the temperature in Phoenix, AZ in the summer is much different than NY city in the winter. Another example is Honda's paints which are slow to dry, drying times can be days. Generally, we recommend 2 hours up to 4 days as a time frame (at about 70 degrees air temperature). When removing the excess paint IF you find the paint is coming off too quickly or being removed from the chip itself, you will need to let the paint dry longer. Be sure to use a smooth, clean cloth i.e., bed sheet, pillow case, t-shirt.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts