Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please somebody tell me how i change the manual gearbox oil and confir type of oil . tahks a lot.

·
Registered
2014 E250 Bluetec 4-Matic, 1983 240D 4-Speed
9,980 Posts
There is a forum for this specifically and you should either post this there or have the Moderators move it there.

But, from memory the MB manual gear boxes have a 14mm Allen (hex) head plug to drain and another a bit higher up on the side for filling. You drain the oil out of the drain plug into a pan and then fill through the fill port after reinstalling the drain plug. You fill until it runs out. Of course the car should be level when you do this, which means it must be on a lift or you have to be in a trench....Once it is full, you reinstall the fill port plug. Both are (my experience on a wide variety of MB manual transmissions but not one from a 230-250-280SL) 14mm Allen head hex plugs.

I no longer own a manual tranny Benz but used RedLine Manual Transmission Fluid in my Diesels for many hundreds of thousands of miles. But the moderator should put this inquiry into the 280SL forum so you get some genuine advice from someone with 280SL specific experience.

Good luck,

Jim

·
'89 300E Turbo project, ‘85 Audi Coupe Quattro, ‘71 BMW turbo 2002, '73 BMW 2002tii, ‘67 Kaiser M725
17,724 Posts
Be sure to only use GL4 gear oil because of the brass inside that old gear box.

·
Registered
Departed 1998 SL500 (and the Pano is in Bogota)
11,022 Posts
If you don't have a trench in your garage or access to a level lift, can jack up one side of the car to fill, then let it back down to level so the the excess oil can drain out through the fill-hole. Or just put the car up level on 4 jack stands to do the oil change.

·
Immoderately Caffeinated/ Vintage Moderator
T5
16,592 Posts
Bot from Venezuela? Do they even have Pagodas down thar?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks you all, but my question is do i reach the filling port from under the car on the left side of the gearbox ? Donf there is a 230 sl near my house and there is a guy that has like 4 of them but he never takes them out., thats in caracas , i dont knw in the rest of the country.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Be sure to only use GL4 gear oil because of the brass inside that old gear box.
Hi, in many specs of the pagoda they say to use automatic transsmission fluid ATF DEXRON II OR III EVEN IN A FORUM OF THIS PAGE. . as a matter of fact the oil that has now is a thick as a gl4 . thamks

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Bot from Venezuela? Do they even have Pagodas down thar?
Donf as a matter of fact there is a mercedes benz club of venezuela. you may take a look in internet. the problem is tthat the gullwings and the pagodas are being sold in foreing countrie because they pay better. and remain few of them,.

·
Premium Member
U took the old religion from the woman on the hill.
43,705 Posts
Turn car upside down and shake.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts