Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Underneath the hood/bonnet of my 190e 2.6 there is a type of matting or padding. The problem is that it is starting to come off and its starting to look quite messy when you open it. If any one out there knows what this is called and how much it cost to refit and where you could order or buy it from could you please let me know, I live in the UK. Also is it easy to fit your self? Cheers[8D]

·
Registered
'85 2.3-16 '99 C280 '11 GLK350
4,804 Posts
It's known as a "hood pad" and is made of closed cell foam. Over time, engine gasses and oil contaminate the foam and it will start to disintergrate with heat. The fix is messy, but a DIY job. The pad itself is available from the dealership ($100+) or from resellers for much less. The 2.6L pad is slightly larger and more expensive than the 2.3L pad, but the 2.3L will work on the 2.6L hood, it's just that the shape of the air cleaner housing "indent" won't match, so it's up to you which to buy. The turbo diesel pads have aluminium heat panels, but don't do anything for the other engines.

To remove the old pad, put the hood into the completely vertical position. You'll need a covering for the engine bay, either an old sheet or some taped panels of flat cardboard or sturdy paper to cover the engine bay to catch the debris off the hood. Using an ice scraper or putty knife, remove old pad chunks from the hood. After you get most of it off, you'll have pieces of pad and glue still stuck to the hood. Use a trim adhesive remover, such as made by 3M, to clean it off. The goal is to have a very clean hood to attach the new pad onto, otherwise it will delaminate and start to sag. Gather up the sheet with the debris and dump it.

Once you have a clean surface, do a "dry fit" of the pad, so you get familiar with the points of contact and the fitting. Then, get a helper and some 3M Super Trim Adhesive (not the regular stuff, you want the "Super") and spray it liberally on the hood and the underside of the pad. Quickly start at the base of the hood, nearest the windscreen and get that end adhered first, then as you move up towards the front of the grill, use a burnishing tool, like a printers rubber roller or a painting roller with a clean roller pad, to smooth out the pad as it sticks to the hood. At the very end, tuck the pad under the front hood seams.

Let the pad and glue cure overnight before heating it up.

·
Registered
291 Posts
The origonal pad may reduce the noise, but its biggest goal is the heat barrior it creats between your engine bay and that shinny clear coat on the hood.

Just wanted you to know that because the pad for the 2.3 is about 1/3 the cost and some do use it,but the one for the 2.6 is made to extend farther forwards on the hood to help protect from the extra heat in the radiator area. [8D]

·
Registered
190E, 993
552 Posts
theairboy - 5/18/2005 11:49 PM

The origonal pad may reduce the noise, but its biggest goal is the heat barrior it creats between your engine bay and that shinny clear coat on the hood.

Just wanted you to know that because the pad for the 2.3 is about 1/3 the cost and some do use it,but the one for the 2.6 is made to extend farther forwards on the hood to help protect from the extra heat in the radiator area. [8D]
In addition to the glue, the 2.6es also use 'rivets' to hold the hoodpad on, where as the 2.3s don't.
Do all of the 2.6es ('87 to '93) have the same coverage area? or are the later 2.6 hood pads the ones that cover that extended area?

·
Registered
291 Posts
They are actualy plastic insert buttons that expand when you install the upper into the lower, and i'm not sure if they started installing the longer pads in 1987. I do know that the 1992-3 do have them and think if you looked at some online venders and compaired part #s for those years you would be able to find out.

·
Registered
190E, 993
552 Posts
I checked my EPC for the 190E 2.6 in model years: '87, '89, and '92.

Even with the '87, it listed the plastic insert buttons (with a quantity of 6 needed).

Hood pad part# '87: A 201 680 03 25
Hood Pad part# '89 & '92: A 201 680 03 25 (up to Ident #: F 562348)
Con't '89 and '92: A 201 680 04 25 (from Ident #: F 562349)

They all use the same plastic insert buttons.

·
Registered
Classic 92 190E 2.6
4,235 Posts
My new padding come this week.

Thanks for the detail install information, I was going to start at the front of the hood and the "printers rubber roller" is a good idea. My new padding for my 190E 2.6 came from Perfmance Plus for $118.00, I checked several sites and some list two different types for 2.6, and you order by model number, prices range from $100 to $130! I looked all over for just hood padding material and was going to cut to fit but could not find any, I am still looking because I want to replace the padding on the fire wall which is in poor condition and do not see how to do that by using the OEM part. The funny thing is that you can buy padding for other MB models for example the 126 chassis for only $44.20?????

·
W201, W202, W203, W204, W205 Moderator
Amethyst 2001 C320
1,730 Posts
It's always been strange to me that the 2.6L has the most expensive hood padding. I wonder if our good friends at Mercedes planned this...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts