Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, been around for a while on the forum but would love to get your help. I live on the south shore of Boston.

M156 with about 89k was running perfect, stock, great maintenance history. Put K&N w charcoal delete and got check engine light. replaced K&N with the AFE dry filters (still no charcoals) and no more ck engine light.... car ran perfect.

Decided to get a stage 1 tune from a popular vendor. After tune, car ran w/o ck engine light for about 100 miles. Out of know where, I'd get these random instantaneous engine stalls then lights all on the dash like the car's ignition was in "2" - christmas tree). When this would happen at speed, it feels like the key was turned to off by a phantom passenger and the jolt is frightening if you're on the gas. When motoring/idling thru slow traffic (and this fault happened), the car would stall but start right back up after putting the transmission into park. It doesn't always throw a code after being reset on the first instance but would usually on the second sudden engine cut out.

The p2160 error states: "OBD II fault code P2610 is a generic code that is defined as “Engine control module (ECM) – internal engine off timer – performance”, and is set when the PCM (Powertrain Control Module) is unable to determine if the engine had been shut off, but more precisely, for how long the engine had been shut off."

Internet info on the fault is limited (esp with Merc's). But seems like a weak battery needing to be replaced is most common resolution/initial attempt. My Battery is factory and 2 years old. Kept on trickle charger during winter, dash shows 14.1V while running. Beyond the tune, there has been no altercations (other than AFE filters/no charcoals. I reset the tune back to factory but still got the same code. One thing I'm wondering is that after the tune "mates" to your ECU, does reseting back to stock tune really do just that or does the tune permanently change some of the s/w in the ECU so that "stock tune" really isn't stock tune? The p2160 CEL s easily reset with an obd2 reader. I drive 20 miles each way to work and this stall usually happens twice each way - of note, it doesn't seem to happen while engine (oil) is still warming up and this is not a daily, only driven in good weather.

I'd love to hear any experiences / suggestions / theories as to why this is happening. The stalling occurs under any load (scared the crap out of me when it "stalled" while flooring it on a highway on-ramp... felt like I was on a bucking bronco). Really would like to know where to go next... I'm a DIY but will bring to dealer if there isn't any option.

Thank you very much, Ed

·
Registered
2002 Mercedes ML320, Mercedes 190E 2.3L (sold), 2001 Mercedes c320(gone)
1,391 Posts
Hi,

In addition to resetting the tune, is a full ECU reprogram possible with the company? Or is that what was done? The code description appears to be core ECU programming related.

Also try some of the basics:

1. Confirm crankshaft sensor.
2. Unplug MAF sensor and test drive.

Sent from my Pace 2 Lite using Tapatalk

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the help, Noetico. I twisted in fiddled with everything and am now on the the replaclemt on the crankshaft sensor. I have the new part on my desk. It's not in the car because I have no idea how to replace it! Looks easy and enough and I've tried to dig up pics/info, but the best I have at this point is that it's near the bell house / engine removal hook / driver's side... I have today off from work and would love some "direction"

Thank you , Ed

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Forgot to mention, I'm now getting the crankshaft sensor fault on my obd2 reader. Thanks for any help! Ed

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
O great, so it's where you refer to, driver's side, to make it easier, remove the MAF sensor and the coil for cylinder 8, so you have some room to deep even a short tool like a standard wrench.

Removing the MAF helps you work your left hand in so you can guide your tool to the bolt on the crankshaft sensor.

Once you have it off, what I do is put a small strand of flexible wire (some use a paper, so you can also use the paper to keep it steady and the wire ensures it wouldn't fall whatever happens). I tie up the bolt and attach to the tool, the tie it in there. It's a small gauge wire so doesnt affect the bolt.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Noetico - I want to thank you for your tips and advice. I haven't had the chance to do the sway, but will hopefully soon and will be sure to let you know what happens!

All the Best, Ed

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Noetico - I want to thank you for your tips and advice. I haven't had the chance to do the sway, but will hopefully soon and will be sure to let you know what happens!

All the Best, Ed
Thanks, please don't mention it. All the best!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts