Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2003 C240
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here in Alabama we have been in a severe drought until a week ago and I'm guessing this has something to do with my issue. Drove the car to work with no problems and when I tried to crank the car to go home it wouldn't start. All lights work fine. Battery is 2 months old. Finally cranked but stuck in limp mode. Wont go back to Park until I turn it off in Neutral. Then gear shifter moves fine. iCarsoft MBII shows code P0705 (Transmission Range Sensor) but dealer tells me this car doesn't have one. I pulled the Floor Shifter Module, disassembled it, cleaned every pin and board with electrical contact cleaner and canned air, and reassembled it. Car cranked and ran normally for about an hour and then wouldn't crank. I have cleared everything I can possibly clear (including ABS light that was on before I bought it last year). Vehicle showed no codes right before it wouldn't crank this last time. I suspect the Brake Light Sensor but can't find it. It's not at the top of the brake pedal. I've read it doesn't have one but uses a Brake Pressure Sensor. Does anyone know if the sensors on the master cylinder can give the same troubles that a brake light sensor can? Tired of borrowing a vehicle. Please someone help.

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
CURRENT: 2011 SL550, 2011 C300 FORMER: ML350, CLK550 Cabriolet, C240, ML320, 300TD
19,235 Posts
Since you have iCarsoft, did you pull codes from the TCU, gearshift, and ESP units?

·
Registered
2003 C240
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I pulled codes from all 27 modules. Automatically and manually. P0705 is my only code.

·
Registered
2003 C240
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Fixed!

For anyone else who has this problem. The transmission range sensor is in the Gear shifter module. Pull the old one and get the exact part #. I put my part # in an ebay search and i found six. I ended up getting one for $98 that was from a 2005 C230. It does not have to be flashed to your specific VIN but you will need to get the code cleared. I bought a iCarsoft MBII for $160 on Amazon and it clears stored codes. If you use it more than once it pays for itself. If you need help pulling the shifter email me and I will be glad to guide you.

·
Registered
2016 C300, 2006 S430, 2003 C240, 1991 190E 2.6
517 Posts
Is this the part number? 203-267-54-24

Dealer wants $749+ for the Floor Shifter Module. Apparently, our 2003's used to have Parts # 203-267-61-24 or 209-267-02-24 but discontinued for obvious reasons.:(

·
Registered
2003 C240
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It was A2032675424. There are several different ones. I'm just glad it is done. This is twice in 4 months I've been told a repair would be around $1500 and I've been able to do the work myself. And it's because of the kindness of people like yourself who post on helpful forums.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Fixed!

For anyone else who has this problem. The transmission range sensor is in the Gear shifter module. Pull the old one and get the exact part #. I put my part # in an ebay search and i found six. I ended up getting one for $98 that was from a 2005 C230. It does not have to be flashed to your specific VIN but you will need to get the code cleared. I bought a iCarsoft MBII for $160 on Amazon and it clears stored codes. If you use it more than once it pays for itself. If you need help pulling the shifter email me and I will be glad to guide you.
I'm having kinda of the same problem. The car was given to me in Fl. we drove it home reseting trany..and this year it worked now and then..not driven much. So I bought a Ancel OBD2 and code says P0705. Took it out to try and clean, but it is sealed..so I have one on the way and hopefully it will work..I have a 2005 CLK320 convertible. Thanks for your post..any advice is welcome..Happy turkey, Merry Christmas, and if it works for me...Happy New year. Thanks again, Don Akers.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts