Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2014 ML550 Need some help as this code seems elusive to solve.

replaced purge valve and gas cap as first easy/cheap steps.

CEL light sometimes goes off on its own and then comes back. It seems to happen not long after filling up.

Right before I bought car the passenger side cams and both timing chains had been replaced so wondering if something not sealed up by intake.

My mechanic friend who owns his own garage smoke tested and no leaks. He does not have the Benz diagnostic software to go any further so told me get dealer to diagnose.

Any advice or others with same issue and how to resolve it would be greatly appreciated.

Car has had full servicing, oil changes, filters, plugs, trans, diffs, transfer case, etc.
This code is driving me nuts.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Nobody has had this code? Going to dealer to get it diagnosed on Monday.

This will be last Benz I own. I don’t think I’ve ever gone 12 months of owning one without a CEL.

Two years left to deal with this one and then bye bye.

·
Premium Member
2000 ML55 sold? 2013 ML500,? 2017 C43 AMG,1929 Victory 6 roadster, 1927 Dodge 4 sedan, 1929 Dodge
5,637 Posts
Nobody has had this code? Going to dealer to get it diagnosed on Monday.

This will be last Benz I own. I don’t think I’ve ever gone 12 months of owning one without a CEL.

Two years left to deal with this one and then bye bye.
Good idea other cars don’t have any issues at all. It’s just Mercedes Benz

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good idea other cars don’t have any issues at all. It’s just Mercedes Benz
I’m going to with get an Escalade or Suburban.

Much cheaper to maintain and work on since I do a lot of my own wrenching.

With MB often time you get stuck using dealer as the sensors require Star software to calibrate them.

So yes, getting rid of Benz and stop rewarding them for unnecessarily complex and proprietary designs makes way more sense. MB loves to make crap emission systems and trigger non stop CEL.

Ive owned 3 MB, this will be my last.

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
16,766 Posts
Having a good independent is key, they'll have the diagnostic system too hopefully. But yeah who needs an unreliable car.
Dealer is bad. Nearly always, I'd say. You might get the occasional good one.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Having a good independent is key, they'll have the diagnostic system too hopefully. But yeah who needs an unreliable car.
Dealer is bad. Nearly always, I'd say. You might get the occasional good one.
Even Indy shops aren’t all the much cheaper and many things they won’t tackle.
These vehicles just aren’t reliable.

I have a CEL and the code isn’t really instructive. So just have a tech keep monkeying around and pay for no solution?
I’ve dealt with this code for 2.5 months. Dealer shrugged last time and said never saw before.

I truly regret sticking with MB this long.

·
Registered
2015 ML250 Bluetec | 1987 560 SL | 2019 GLC 300 | Prev: | 2002 ML 500 | 2012 C250 | 1998 C230
1,413 Posts
Even Indy shops aren’t all the much cheaper and many things they won’t tackle.
These vehicles just aren’t reliable.

I have a CEL and the code isn’t really instructive. So just have a tech keep monkeying around and pay for no solution?
I’ve dealt with this code for 2.5 months. Dealer shrugged last time and said never saw before.

I truly regret sticking with MB this long.
Cool.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So other people can use this as a reference if you get this code, the evap system on the MLs is a crap design with limited diagnostics and essentially changing parts until the light goes away.

After a $1000 service ticket for diagnostics they replaced the canister. Before I got 2 miles from the dealer the CEL came back on.

Then, just yesterday they replaced the venturis and pressure sensor and they filled It to top with fuel and drove it 40 miles. And got a nice $588 invoice to go with it. Shall see if light stays off.

Literally replaced all parts of the evap System.

$1800 to make an evap code do away. Crap design, poor reliability.

I would likely to personally kick the MB engineer responsible for this system in the teeth.

18 months and this vehicle will be the last Benz I own.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Welp, made it about 200 miles and CEL still on. Wife filled up fuel yesterday, she did not tip it up or overfill and gas cap tight.

literally have replaced every part of evap system and light still comes on. Crap design by MB

Taking to dealer tomorrow already have appt. going to challenge additional charges since replaced entire evap system means should be underwarranty as all new MB parts.

my next move is it escalate this to MB and force open a PTSS case. There is something wrong with the ML evap design and filing US complaints to NTSB as many filings on this issue.

Whomever designed the emissions system for the ML should be fired.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts