1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
99 C280 Sport
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I have a 99 c280 sport with the CEL on.
The code is P0446 which relates the the carbon canister valve, however an independent repair shop that specializes in MB looked at the car and said that it needs the Fuel Tank sender unit replaced (i am guessing they meant the right side that also has the pressure sensor).

I was quoted $675 installed.

I looked online and found the part for $160 but there was a note saying i may also need a $90 wiring harness.

Does anyone have the DIY instructions for this job? Does it sound like i am replacing the correct parts on the car? I am going to DIY since i have some experience working on cars and cannot bring myself to pay that much just so i can pass state inspection.

any help is much appreciated!!

Thanks

·
Registered
1998 c 230
26 Posts
I have the same problem with the fuel sender in my 98 230 and I can't pass inspection also I called new york dmv and asked what does my fuel level have to do with emmissions they have no answer. I do have the step by step instructions if you want them let me know,I am guessing you also have saddle tanks

·
Registered
99 C280 Sport
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have the same problem with the fuel sender in my 98 230 and I can't pass inspection also I called new york dmv and asked what does my fuel level have to do with emmissions they have no answer. I do have the step by step instructions if you want them let me know,I am guessing you also have saddle tanks
i replaced the passenger side sensor myself. it was a pain taking the ring out (had to hit at it with a hammer for AGES)

unfortunately a different fault came back, but the CEL went away long enough to pass inspection. now after driving for 10-15 minutes if i stop at a light long enough, the low fuel light will flash, i think that means there is a large tank leak, but i am unable to locate one, and i havent checked to see what the code is

·
Registered
1998 c 230
26 Posts
sorry to hear it didnt solve the whole problem but atleast you have time now before the next due inspection. I am going to replace both units what the hell the tanks drained and car up in the air why not

·
Registered
99 C280 Sport
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sorry to hear it didnt solve the whole problem but atleast you have time now before the next due inspection. I am going to replace both units what the hell the tanks drained and car up in the air why not
i was able to avoid draining the tank by running it ALMOST empty, and then jacking up only the passenger side of the vehicle.

seriously though, see if you can find the special tool to remove the ring holding it in place, with that tool, it will take you MUCH less time. My car spent a couple years in canada so corrosion had make it VERY difficult to turn

1 - 5 of 5 Posts