Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2002 CLK 430
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car had the P0173 error code for a few weeks. I cleaned the MAF and cleared the code but it kept coming back. I ONLY had that code and not with other codes like P0170. I was thinking maybe the O2 sensor but I get 25mpg/highway and 20/city.

Finally after driving about 4 weeks, P0170 finally appeared along with P0173. So I knew my MAF was the problem. I went to a local European car parts store and they have both Bosch OEM for $300 and an aftermarket one by Meyle for $160. I can't make up my mind BUT the parts guy said Meyle has 1 yr warranty. So I bought the cheaper one.

The result:
Well, the Meyle one didn't fit right, just a little bit too small. So I swapped the sensor part and reused the old oem housing. I have driven 800 mi since the fix and no error codes (the error code normally comes back after 150 mi). So I think the problem is fixed. I was surprised to be able to find the MAF locally. Meyle is an European brand and the part is made in China but it works. Just didn't want to pay $300 for a Bosch especially Bosch is not that reliable anyway.

Hope this is helpful to others,

L

·
0 Posts
My car had the P0173 error code for a few weeks. I cleaned the MAF and cleared the code but it kept coming back. I ONLY had that code and not with other codes like P0170. I was thinking maybe the O2 sensor but I get 25mpg/highway and 20/city.

Finally after driving about 4 weeks, P0170 finally appeared along with P0173. So I knew my MAF was the problem. I went to a local European car parts store and they have both Bosch OEM for $300 and an aftermarket one by Meyle for $160. I can't make up my mind BUT the parts guy said Meyle has 1 yr warranty. So I bought the cheaper one.

The result:
Well, the Meyle one didn't fit right, just a little bit too small. So I swapped the sensor part and reused the old oem housing. I have driven 800 mi since the fix and no error codes (the error code normally comes back after 150 mi). So I think the problem is fixed. I was surprised to be able to find the MAF locally. Meyle is an European brand and the part is made in China but it works. Just didn't want to pay $300 for a Bosch especially Bosch is not that reliable anyway.

It would be nice if you can give us the description of the codes. Codes are just a number and no one can remember it without the description. Btw, can you provide us the info of the store that you bought the cheap MAS.

·
Registered
2001 CLK 320 and 2002 ML 320
71 Posts

The result:

IMHO get the Bosch OEM MAF. That Meyle is taking a gamble. I had issues with the Meyle. Autohaus.com has Bosch OEM for $173. But hey if the Meyle works what the heck.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts