Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
SLK 230 Kompressor, 2001
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If i reset them, they don`t appear back immediately. The O2 sensor is new. Where to start looking?

P0130 O2 Sensor Circuit Malfunction (Bank 1 Sensor 1)
P0131 O2 Sensor Circuit Low Voltage (Bank 1 Sensor 1)
P0171 System too Lean (Bank 1)

·
Registered
2001 SLK 320(217K Miles), 2002 E320 Special Edition(183K Miles)
3,467 Posts
Not to knock the SLK230 - but there seems to more pipes and and wiring in that engine bay than in an 18th century building that had plumbing and electricity added. :D:D;)

L

·
0 Posts
If i reset them, they don`t appear back immediately. The O2 sensor is new. Where to start looking?

P0130 O2 Sensor Circuit Malfunction (Bank 1 Sensor 1)
P0131 O2 Sensor Circuit Low Voltage (Bank 1 Sensor 1)
P0171 System too Lean (Bank 1)

Hmmmm.....02 sensor #1 is bad (#1 is before the CAT). Did you replaced it with the factory 02 sensor or Ebay 02 sensor?

·
Registered
SLK 230 Kompressor, 2001
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Both O2 sensors are new, both changed 3 months ago, both came in OEM boxes :(

Later:
yea, you have to carefull about small oil leaks like yours. I had FOUR o2 sensors go out on me before I found out oil was leaking (from your same spot) onto the the sensor. I took the car back to the stealership and threatend to sue if they didnt fix the problem seeing that they replaced the same sensor twice before selling it to me. But no one could simply see that there was an oil leak! Well, they fixed it, and havent had that problem since. Has anybody else had a problem like this? And of course I wasnt going to give my SLK up!

It seems that oil dripping on the sensor trigered the errors. That would also explain the smell when driving with top down.

·
Registered
2002 SLK 230 1986 560SL 2008 Honda CRV
3,664 Posts
LHD car if you look where the exhaust pipe connects to the manifold you will see the O2 sensor. The other one is under the car near the cat. Sorry, no pictures right now. Do a search, you may find one.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sorry to bring an old thread back to life, but my 2002 SLK230 is also throwing a P0131 code. I replaced the O2 sensor with a OEM Bosch replacement from Napa, code went away for about a week then came back. It had oil on the O2 harness and I also traced oil back to the ECM. I sprayed the O2 harness down with electric connector parts cleaner as well as the harness into the ECM then blew them dry with compressed air.
I will be replacing the Cam Magnet Sensor tomorrow as well as installing the Starter Line Harness, both bought from MB dealer here in Fresno California.

My question is, are they any special tools that I will need or any special instructions or precedures that I should be aware of? Is there any tuning or calibration required after the new sensor is installed? Is there a link or write up to the cam sensor replacement? Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG 1997 SLK230 & 1978 280CE
377 Posts
The Cam Magnet is an actuator to change the Cam timing.......no adjustment, it is just on or off to change the Cam timing (the Cam Position Sensor is in a different position and I presume not what you are talking about)

............the oil leak is usually through the electrical connector and quite a common problem

......oil leaking from the Cam Magnet flange is also common, but usually just makes a mess of the front of the engine rather than track oil to the O2 sensor and ECM

The fact that MB makes the 'Starter Line' to prevent the oil tracking... and supposedly they have sold thousands.... shows the extent of the problem

There have been a few threads about the Cam Magnet....but no pictorial write up that I am aware of...

Pictures of your oil soaked harness would have been interesting....did oil actually get to the ECM board?

Re Cam Magnet.......choice of sealant is important

If you are not careful to use a Silicone sealant sparingly, then any excess can get in the adjuster and clog the oil passage preventing it from working

MB uses what they call a flange sealant (expensive, but should be availabe from a Dealer)

........one thread I read suggested a visit to a Honda or Yamaha Motorcycle Dealer.........apparently similar sealants are used to seal the crankcase halves of motorcycles...Yamabond

Hylomar Flange Sealant is an option

Not sure of the correct tightening torque for the bolts....but I did see 10Nm quoted in one thread.....so its important they are evenly tightened, but not excessively tight

Good luck......a new Cam Magnet Oil Leak thread would be of interest ............with pics of your oil leak, Starter Line (connections in particular), correct tightening torque if you find it documented (couldn't find it in the WIS, but it is very hard to navigate)

Cheers

David

·
Registered
2000 SLK 230 manual, original owner
227 Posts
David in Austrailia,

"The fact that MB makes the 'Starter Line' to prevent the oil tracking... and supposedly they have sold thousands.... shows the extent of the problem"

What is the "Starter Line" you referred to? Something made by Mercedes? Is it worth getting as preventative maintenance?

Thanks. --Larry

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG 1997 SLK230 & 1978 280CE
377 Posts
Starter Line: Short wiring harness that plugs between the original cable and the cam magnet..........has oil blocking function in the cable

......the connectors on the cables I have seen are for the magnets with flat pins....... not the round as on pre 2000.....worth checking supplied cable ends at the Dealer......should be possible to splice new connectors if you can get them

Pic pinched from another thread......:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2000 SLK 230 manual, original owner
227 Posts
David,

Thanks for posting the information and photo. Was unfamiliar with the MB Starter Line.
--Larry

1 - 20 of 22 Posts