Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Premium Member
2000 ML55 sold? 2013 ML500,? 2017 C43 AMG,1929 Victory 6 roadster, 1927 Dodge 4 sedan, 1929 Dodge
6,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This thread is about how I tackled this fault I had for some time.

This was my original 2 codes I pulled
P001685 & P001177.
So with the first bit of research I did I went about replacing all of my cam adjusters, I thought while I’m in there I’d do them all. Also did the chain guides and chain tensioners. I used all genuine parts except for the cam adjusters. The ones I used were from Germany and looked to be identical including the QR code to genuine.
Also did water pump and all idlers, turbo water cooling lines and so on.
After it was all back together it started straight up and I thought all was well until I restarted it to find I still had the long crank and same P001685 code. When I say long crank it takes about 2 seconds to start.
I will admit I was a little disappointed after doing all that work to have the same problem.
So with all that I change all of the cam sensors in case one was bad because with looking at them 2 of them had oil in the connectors. I also changed all the cam adjuster solenoids to rule that out.
Same problem still exists.
I was actually quite happy to change all the parts as the car has 200,000km on it.
With more research and reading everything pointed to replacing the bank 1 inlet cam shaft to fix the long crank issue. The hall sensor disc apparently moves over time and give an incorrect reading to the ECU.
The parameters for the inlet cam are 36* and are allowed to differ from that up to 7.5*Before the long crank appears.
Mine were at Bank 1 inlet 44*
Bank 2 inlet 38*

The thought of doing the camshaft replacement after all the work I did , definitely didn’t excite me. After pricing one up at about $1800 I wasn’t happy.
So a bit of thought and sleeping on it I came up with the idea of repairing the one I had.
Now I will say this has worked for me and has fixed my problem so far with about 400km and at least 40-50 starts later.
So what I did was move the hall sensor disc back a few degrees using a 3/8 pin punch through the oil filler hole.

This needs to be done very carefully and gently. I only moved it about 2-3mm back or should I say forwards/ clockwise looking at the engine. I ground my pin punch so it sat on the disc exactly at 90 degrees to the tag on it. I tapped it very gently watching through the cam sensor hole to move it only slightly. Making sure it did not bend the disc. The cam sensor has to be removed to do this as it sits only a millimetre away from it. So don’t bend the tag upwards if you try this.

Bank 2 inlet looking through the cam sensor hole. Notice the disc is centred

Bank 1 inlet looking through the cam sensor hole.
Bank 1 is slightly back compared to bank 2 , so I moved bank 1 forward to a similar position as bank 2.
It will be interesting to see how long this fix last and yes I know it’s a bit unorthodox. But so far it’s worked out well and I’m happy to be the Guinea pig and try it out because if it works it can save thousands of dollars. If done wrong it could cost more I now so do this at your own discretion. It may well not be a permanent fix but time will tell.
The hall sensor disc is definitely not loose and took a bit to move.
So how the bloody hell it moves is anyone’s guess I suppose.
I’ll keep this thread updated with any change and or good progress.
On a side note my car is going better than it ever has and I’m not gentle with it I drive it responsibly hard.
Hopefully this will help someone out with a similar problem whether you replace the cam or try fix it this way.
Do this at your own risk as I take no responsibility for anyone doing this and it doesn’t work or causes more damage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
Dallas, Texas
13,442 Posts
I came across few post stating that reluctor wheel is just pressed on. It is about M276 engine but M278 is same family.

· Premium Member
2000 ML55 sold? 2013 ML500,? 2017 C43 AMG,1929 Victory 6 roadster, 1927 Dodge 4 sedan, 1929 Dodge
6,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The engine hasn’t missed a start and is running better that ever so far.

· Premium Member
6,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well over a month after this repair everything is still going perfectly. The engine still hasn’t had a long start or CEL.

· Registered
0 Posts
Thank you for posting this. I am considering trying it. I have the same error and long crank on a 2014 GL450 M278 with 120,000 miles. Replaced cam sensors, cam magnets, pulled the cam adjuster cover and cranked the engine over without any of the adjusters skipping. Thinking lastly it has to be the cam plates have moved on the cam. It sounds slightly crazy to do what you said, but maybe worth a try before replacing the cam. It sure saves a lot of time and effort! If I try it and it works for me ill report back.

· Premium Member
6,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for posting this. I am considering trying it. I have the same error and long crank on a 2014 GL450 M278 with 120,000 miles. Replaced cam sensors, cam magnets, pulled the cam adjuster cover and cranked the engine over without any of the adjusters skipping. Thinking lastly it has to be the cam plates have moved on the cam. It sounds slightly crazy to do what you said, but maybe worth a try before replacing the cam. It sure saves a lot of time and effort! If I try it and it works for me ill report back.
Still working just fine so far.
Just grind the end of the punch so it sits at 90 degrees to the hall sensor plate. I only moved it probably 2-3mm.
Is it the intake on bank one that’s the problem. It’s just that you can get good access through tho oil filler.
Good luck with it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts