Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1981 240GD+, Alfa Brera 3,2 V6 Q4 2006, Alfa GT 3,2 V6.
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question for you "G-Wizards"!
Has anyone of you the knowledge of fitting a P.T.O unit P.nr 460 280 39 29 to an existing 460330 P.nr 484 284 00 47 transfercase by simply removing the side cover and fitting the unit on the t.c.,
or are there some additional gears that have to be changed or added besides the new shifting leaver.

Thanks, M.

·
Registered
85 300GD 83 300TD
978 Posts
Hi M,

When Travis was still at Europa I inquired about the P.T.O. and he indicated that it required another internal gear to drive the thing. The parts were very expensive and splitting the T-case is not a piece of cake so I didn't persue it beyond that. Actually, properly reassembling the T-case is the daunting task. Hopefully others have been down that path and will respond. If I could get the parts for a reasonable price I would install them in the case I removed from my truck. A PTO could drive a hydraulic pump among other things that would be very useful.

-Dai

·
Registered
'82 300 GD Cab STT ('02 G270CDi/'85 300 GD SWB)
473 Posts
Judging by the part numbers visible and the "Mercedes-Benz AG"-plaque this seems like a VG150 with a center differential. There has been rumours about this T-case with a PTO on this board, but noone has had any more info. Does this one really have PTO? I can't se any output shaft for it. The VG080s PTO has an output shaft that faces both front and rear.

·
Registered
96 G300DT
1,988 Posts
The VG150 w/PTO doesn't seem to have left the factory. The only place it seems to exist is on the drawing boards and the factory manual. The EPC doesn't list parts for a PTO version or PTO add on parts.

·
Registered
1981 240GD+, Alfa Brera 3,2 V6 Q4 2006, Alfa GT 3,2 V6.
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Now I am a bit confused ... (confussed[?]).
Looking on the EPC I have these basic two options, either the full TC(VG080) with PTO at as quoted an aprox. $ 11670.- or
the PTO on his own for $ 4170.-

On the pic. TRC1, does the #8 (gear 41 teeth) has to be fitted/replaced into the TC?

Is there an existing shaft that will support the additional gear, or removal of an existing gear?

How risky is to open the TC?

All these question I have put to MB but no answer from SA nor Germany.

As you can observe, the price is not to be ignored and I would not like to order the PTO #20, spend all that hard earned money and discover a whole can of worms.

Your input is greatly appriciated.

M.

Attachments

·
Registered
1980 LWB 280GE
3,504 Posts
No risk at all to open the t-case. Even if you had to change the gear you mentioned, it's no trouble at all. The t-case is pretty simple. In your case you'd maybe get away with just removing the left side cover and replacing it with the PTO. If not, then you'll have to remove the shifter (4 or 5 bolts) then remove the rear cover. The tricky stuff(oil pump drive and proper preload to keep it happy) is all assembled with the rear cover, and you don't have to touch that. Once the rear cover is off the input shaft can be disassembled (a circlip, and then start pulling stuff off the shaft) to reach the low range input gear, which is the one the PTO mates with. I think you have to disassemble some of the internal shift linkage (forks) to get the LRIG off. But it's all basic mechanical stuff. No setup to be done in that part.

-Dave G.

PS... Dare I ask what you have planned for the "P" you get from the PTO?

·
Registered
280GE LWB -89, C200
42 Posts
Hi M,

yes Dai is correct, there is a missing gear in the TC.

I have tried to do the same, but for me it was more easy to swap the hole TC to get one with a PTO.

On the picture you see where the gear should be.

I use my PTO for a hydraulic pump connected to a winch. Works great.

Good luck!
/Per

Attachments

·
Registered
85 300GD 83 300TD
978 Posts
RE: P.T.O Question shaft preload

Dave, do you not affect the preload of the input shaft when you take it apart? I had a leaky box and could hear a suspect bearing on the output shaft with a stethescope. I removed the T-case and handed it to a professional to repair. It was comepletely dissasembled and there was a bad bearing in the output shaft in the rear cover. When it was reassembled a set of the seals from Europa were incorrect and locally sourced seals were used. I still have a leaker. My truck is my daily driver so I found a used transfer case and it is doing the job. I want to rebuild my original and have new bearings and seals but the tricky issue looks like setting up the correct preload for the shafts. I want to do this carefully, the bearings are very expensive. I'm getting really good at removing and replacing the transfer! Any comments?

-Dai

·
Registered
230 G BGS 300G TDI
965 Posts
AMZIMMY
The TBox I pictured is for sale, I can get it for you if you wish, the guy would like to see €1500 for it but I may be able to negotiate for you. I am shipping some stuff to another G Fan soon so i guess it go in that shipment to keep your costs down.
Let me know by email.

EDIT: just noted you are in SA not USA so it would have to go to you direct

·
Registered
1980 LWB 280GE
3,504 Posts
No, it's quite alright....

You can send that PTO transfer case this way. I'll be SURE to forward it along "post haste" as they say. Of course you never know about these shipping companies. Things DO have a way of getting lost....[;)]

-Dave G.

·
Registered
1980 LWB 280GE
3,504 Posts
No preload on input shaft

The input shaft is the only one that doesn't ride in tapered roller bearings. It has that giant radial ball bearing at the front of the t-case, and you don't even need to disturb that to get the pto gear on. The shaft is held in the t-case by the flange from the front, and a step on the shaft behind the inner race of the radial ball bearing. To get the PTO gear on you disassemble the input shaft from the rear. You'll probably have to strip gears off the front output shaft as well to get that far in, but no worries, the preload of the front input shaft is set up by the spacer between the two opposed tapered roller bearings in the front case, so as long as you don't disturb the front output flange, that one stays secure as well. Actually as I think about it, all the bearing preloads and securing of shafts (all 3) is done by the flanges. And you don't need to disturb any of those to pull all of the gears and bearings off the front shafts.

For your sake Dai, unfortunately you DO have to pull all those flanges to do the seals. But just like the front axle swivel pins, if you just install new precision bearings, everything should be put back to factory specs without too much fiddling around. The workshop manual covers the t-case operations really well.

-Dave G.

·
Registered
85 300GD 83 300TD
978 Posts
RE: No, it's quite alright....

these aren't the droids you're looking for... we don't need to see his identification.... send the box to Oregon.[:p]

-Dai

·
Registered
85 300GD 83 300TD
978 Posts
RE: No preload on input shaft

Thanks Dave. You help to demystify a tricky thing to work on. I should have done it myself the first time and waited for Europa to send the correct seals from Germany. I was too busy with work and it was a bad moment in time to be without the truck for long. These machines teach patience. Do it right the first time and you don't deal with it again for a very long time. Thanks again,

-Dai

·
Registered
1980 LWB 280GE
3,504 Posts
RE: No preload on input shaft

The seals are the thing that have kept me from finishing the spare box I have. I just hate those darned flanges. I don't seem to be able to get the hang of re-installing them. They say they're supposed to slide right on once they're heated up, but I have yet to be able to get one to install that easily.

If anyone can describe the procedure for fitting the transfer case flanges to the splines without a lot of (bearing destroying) hammer work, please do let me know. This transfer case here that's been apart a couple years would really thank you for it.

-Dave G.

·
Registered
230 G BGS 300G TDI
965 Posts
I'm confused, who am I sending this pto T Box to, I'll just put in the big box marked "G AID" and leave it to you to distibute to the appropriate person.
As if.[:D]

1 - 20 of 41 Posts